News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 18, 2024, 11:03:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild  (Read 38585 times)

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
Re: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2019, 09:02:47 PM »
Got the double stainless jacketed AN6 fuel lines installed. Just need to install tank and plumb the regulator, carb, gauge and final filter.  Fuel lines followed the hard lines but added extra clamps.  Also did the final brakeline connection so now I can bleed the brakes with new fluid.  Now there is no fuel exposure inside the cabin or over the exhaust system! ::)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:04:42 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 08:33:54 AM »
That fuel system looks great.  On many rally cars they would run the fuel system inside the cabin to prevent them (the lines, pump, filter, and regulator) from getting broken when the underside of the body would rub on the ground or get beat up by gravel.  The same would also be true for the braking system.  I, however, do not blame you for wanting to put it back to the standard configuration albeit with much better parts. Keep up the good work.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2019, 10:44:24 AM »
Thank you and true about how they are/were setup.  The fuel part inside the cabin was the fuel pump and it was in an open bottom box above the right muffler!  The delivery lines still were underneath in factory position.  The rear brake line is inside with regulator near shifter.  It exits by where the rear factory brake bracket is.  So, it will still be very close to original rally but a heck of a lot safer.  The jacketed lines will offer some protection and they eliminated some connections.  I am going to remove the open bottom box (50 cal ammo can!) and patch the floor.  I will be setting the tank tonight.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2019, 07:59:33 PM »
Set fuel tank and completed connections. Made carb fuel line with AN connectors.  I will set up another AFB carb with higher cfm rating to feed the engine. Currently it is a 500.  I also set the front pencil lights to complete front.  Now the electrical, my favorite!

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2019, 08:10:54 PM »
Started the wiring. So many splices.  I'll document and then just remove it all.  Quite the challenge.  No pictures,,,yet.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2019, 08:11:38 PM »
Making headway in tracing leads. Have a look. Found 5 splices in 2 feet! Fun!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2019, 09:31:30 PM »
Splices make life fun for others lol. I hate electrics, but even i would run a new wire to a broken section.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2019, 08:30:52 AM »
Have you considered ripping out all the old electronics and starting from fresh?  Sometimes that is the easiest way.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2019, 11:30:11 AM »
That is what I am going to do.  All new switches, fuse panel, wires, connectors, gauges, etc.  I first like to document what was so that I can understand it.  Here is a picture of the electrical overview I drew up.  Soon gutting will occur.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »
I got the front leads landed and installed the heater hoses. I installed a humvee heater valve since the original setup was full heat all the time! Crazy!. I also installed a recirculation control cable to mix air.   I moved the starter solenoid away from exhaust manifold and rerouted my new battery csbles,,,from a humvee.  Since AM General was part of AMC, a lot of my hardware and parts are interchangeable.  Next up is landing the wires in the cabin and installing a new fuse panel.  Added a ground buss for all lights, cooling fan, and relays.  I'll spray it with clear coat to protect it. Fun!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:40:14 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2019, 08:19:55 PM »
Gutted most cabin wires and gauges.  Quite a pile of spliced wires and broken connections.  More gutting and then new gauges and harness.  Fuses too. Fun!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2019, 10:15:50 PM »
Omg gold luck. I know it will be better.. the tilt steering wheel on my 97 f150 for example had broken wires from the column bei g tilted.

Manitowoc WI

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2019, 07:45:02 AM »
Thanks.  I need gold luck...to pay for this! lol  Its really not that bad to rewire it, just mark and cut.  Considering all the add on's previous owners did, it's not that bad for a race type car.  I just don't under the splices after splices in a single line.  Several wires where over heated from exhaust manifolds.  So I rerouted them as best as possible to avoid the radiant heat.

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2019, 08:34:07 PM »
Sweeet! Ive been taunted by this car on the internet for years after I started digging into mine. Thanks for all the photos, really giving my inspiration for a chassis/ suspenson upgrade on mine. Also from MI (living in Chicago), maybe ill catch you on the dirt roads in Manistee forest. If not I'd love to see this car in person! 

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2019, 01:47:36 PM »
Initially I will put it through its paces near Camp Grayling.  Whatever issues arrive I can drag it to Higgins Lake work on it there.  PM me if you are heading through Lansing area.

I removed the speedometer.  The needle was bent and being squished by the faded Plexiglas cover.  I will replace the cover with new and reseal.  Odometer says 13,221.8

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk