News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 06:59:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front Right axle coming apart  (Read 4071 times)

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • A M C -ALWAYS MY CHOICE
Front Right axle coming apart
« on: September 17, 2018, 05:14:57 PM »
The rt front 1/2 axle comes apart when I hit a dip in the road hard enough to pop the front end up and turn left at the same time. Like when you pull out of a driveway through the gutter and accelerate to cross traffic and turn left.  This has happened 6 times now. I have a 83 Eagle Wagon, all the bushings, bearings, etc. have been replaced. And the front end has been aligned to eagle specs, not concord. PLEASE HELP!!! I don't have much hair left to pull out.
Could the problem be shocks? It looks like the shaft was pulled apart.
68 Rambler Ambassador, 77 Hornet AMX, 70 Hornet 4dr sedan, gone but not forgotten. 83 AMC Eagle Sport Wagon making this my DD , just add 89 Jeep Comanche Sport 4cyl fi beater. 76 Chevy HvyDuty 1/2, 75 Chevy Camero (project or 4 sale) undecided.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Front Right axle coming apart
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 09:14:44 PM »
That's weird.    Only question I can think of is: Is the axle the original style axle; or an aftermarket replacement axle with a different style inner CV joint??   Those aftermarket inner CV's don't allow nearly as much in/out "travel" as the original style joints.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 09:39:51 PM »
I have seen different halfshafts sizes on eagles, but smaller ones were on the 4cyl models. Is there any kind of lift on the front, i know you said alligned to spec.

Manitowoc WI

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »
I would pull both axles and compare them and try swapping them.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline v0rt3x86

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
  • Day at the Beach
    • MySpace
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 08:56:03 PM »
The only way that is happening is if you have the wrong part in there.

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 03:44:44 PM »
Thanks for the response,  My Eagle has not been lifted and the 1/2 shafts are the same size. The alignment is good. I wonder if the shock length is to long. I thought there was a spec for that in the form but haven't found it yet. Does anybody know where it is?
68 Rambler Ambassador, 77 Hornet AMX, 70 Hornet 4dr sedan, gone but not forgotten. 83 AMC Eagle Sport Wagon making this my DD , just add 89 Jeep Comanche Sport 4cyl fi beater. 76 Chevy HvyDuty 1/2, 75 Chevy Camero (project or 4 sale) undecided.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 04:31:38 PM »
On a street a shock with too much travel is hard to believe as a cause for this, driving as you say. I guess possible, i wonder if both left and right halfshafts could be the wrong size. So when you compared it looked right.

Manitowoc WI

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 05:27:44 PM »
Can you give us a pic of the inner joints??   Would love to know for sure if they are the original-style joints.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 02:08:14 PM »
If it stops raining I'll try to get some pics, A friend heard about a guy that was dropping 1/2 shafts faster than he could replace then. Said his engine mounts were shot 
and replacing then fixed the problem. When I looked the passenger side mount is about 1/2 gone. Could this actually be a cause to my problem? I'm trying to find the article my friend spoke of, but . What do you guys think??????

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 06:21:29 PM »
I wouldn't think the mount would cause that much movement - but I guess anything is possible; especially if more than one mount is toast.   Check the trans mount, too; as they seem to be always bad!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 06:25:05 PM »
Even so; those original inner CV joints have a LOT of room to move; so the engine would have to just about turn over to lose a joint.   Unless some bazoo didn't bother to install the little snap ring on the outer joint!   I could see an outer joint coming apart then.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 05:05:14 PM »
My friend told my the story was on Cartalk.com, I haven't found it though. Also I'll check the trans mounts, thanks...

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 12:16:25 PM »
Im going to start a new topic, but I wanted to make sure you saw this as well. I just blew my 2nd rf inner axle joint in 2 weeks, only with 4x4 on. My motor mounts are fine. Did you ever resolve this?
1985 Eagle

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 04:41:19 PM »
I add a reply to ItsaWykydtron and want to finish this post. After I broke another 1/2 shaft I found 1 engine mount had broken a bolt off and was bent! It had only been held on by 3 bolts when it should have had 5. I have replaced both engine mounts and have not had a problem since. So as Crazy as it sounds I believe that the engine mounts can and do break 1/2 shafts if they are warn or not properly bolted down!

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 07:33:44 PM »
hi, the factory style engine mounts are rubber, and after 30+ years of heat/oil/salt/etc exposure will break down. Replacing them is almost mandatory in this, the 21st century. I may have gone a bit overboard in this area. On my 84 Sedan, at rebuild time, I put in hard poly engine mounts, available at any Jeep place, like 4WD Hardware. They may outlive me, but the trade off is some vibration, though mostly only noticeable at idle under load, ie at red lights. good luck, gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk