News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 03:19:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speedometer bounces and noisy  (Read 3121 times)

Offline runsfar

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • 1986 Eagle wagon
Speedometer bounces and noisy
« on: March 11, 2018, 11:26:28 PM »
I just scored an '86 wagon with only 78,000 miles! It's in great shape, but there are a few issues I need to work on.

I did some searching here, but all I found were broken cable posts. My speedo still works, but the needle bounces, and it sounds like a wind-up toy. Is this a sign of impending failure, or do I just need to lubricate something?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John
I have no idea why I wanted a thirty year old car so bad, but it is finally mine.

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Speedometer bounces and noisy
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:52:53 AM »
try lubricating or replacing the speedo cable that is what usually causes the needle bounce.
the cable is rubbing and binding in the cable housing

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 01:05:19 PM »
It could also be that the connection on the back of the speedometer is loose.  You should be able to reach up behind the dash to make sure that the nut attaching the cable is on tight.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline runsfar

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • 1986 Eagle wagon
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 01:14:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It's finally a nice day. I'll be under the hood for a while.
I have no idea why I wanted a thirty year old car so bad, but it is finally mine.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 06:47:47 PM »
It gets quite noisy and will eventually break if it's not lubricated. There's an actual lube for it, but if you want to make sure it's just lube try silicone spray or graphite, either with a nozzle. Just keep on spraying it in, should quiet the noise. That's what I had to do with my original.

If you're wondering, the cable is just a metal braided stiff cable in a sheathe. Nothing more, no electrical signals. Putting something in there that is decent with friction and heat is what you want long term.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk