News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:18:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Warm start procedure  (Read 4234 times)

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
Warm start procedure
« on: January 16, 2016, 02:42:29 PM »
What is y'alls procedure for warm starts?

My Eagle is running pretty good, and cold starts are simple: one pump on the gas pedal (two if it's really cold outside)  and turn the key with my foot off the gas, and she fires up every time.  But I really struggle with warm starts.  I've tried pre-pumping the pedal, which often floods it; I've tried cranking it without any gas, which sometimes cranks forever without starting.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Warm start procedure
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 03:40:44 PM »
I find with mine that for warm starts, if I fully depress the gas pedal and hold it down, it starts easier.  Maybe that will work for you too.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »
Same here.  I hold pedal about half way down .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 06:19:32 PM »
Depends how warm.  If I just got gas, I don't touch the pedal.  After maybe a half hour, it normally takes half a press.  Sometimes I'll hold it down half way and crank it.  Most times it doesn't like that.  If you're running the Carter, holding the pedal all the way down should activate the choke unloader for when you pump it too much and flood it, but that'd be when it's cold I think.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 01:09:11 PM »
Like Matt said, on mine, it would start fine if it sat for only a few minutes, but I would put it too the floor if it sat more over 10 minutes. The carb heat soaks and the fuel boils and goes into the manifold causing a flooded condition. Holding the pedal to the floor allows more incoming air to help with burning of the excess fuel.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk