News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 10:03:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dimmer Switch Replacement  (Read 2142 times)

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
Dimmer Switch Replacement
« on: January 14, 2016, 10:42:57 AM »
I have been having an issue with my headlights, which I am attributing partly to the main switch and partly toward the dimmer switch. I have always had issues with the dimmer switch, but lately after about a half hour of driving, my headlights will go out and on, out and on. I have never attempted to replace the dimmer switch, and I don't even know where it is. Is it something I can do without removing a bunch of stuff? Or do I have to remove the package tray, etc? 

Basically I am asking for a walkthrough of replacing it.

Thanks!
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
Re: Dimmer Switch Replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 10:52:28 PM »
Sounds like you have a bad headlight switch or a bad ground. There is no fuse in the headlight system it uses a bimetallic contact in the switch. If there is to much current draw from the headlights either do to a short or a faulty ground the contact in the switch heats up and opens the circuit when it cools back off contacts is made again until it heat s back up and opens again. Check the grounds for the headlights a bad ground will draw more current.  Also if you do the relay mod for the headlights all the power no longer goes through the switch but through a relay controlled buy the headlight switch. Here is a cheap version for the relay but you should  use two fuse lines. one for dim another for brights an get better relays then the ones supplied with this harnesshttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-H4-Headlight-Relay-Wiring-Harness-4-Headlamp-Light-Bulbs-Socket-Plug-Set-/331751604817?hash=item4d3defc251:g:-RMAAOSwn51UZFJJ&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 11:13:08 PM by rmick »
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk