News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 18, 2024, 10:06:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear end spaw question  (Read 17833 times)

Offline WASyL

• mimokXD
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Concord freak
    • Optimal Сasual Dating - Actual Women
Rear end spaw question
« on: July 26, 2014, 12:35:03 PM »
Which rear-end should i get for my 2dr Concord 1978 that does not require any mods on mounting points? it can be wider than stock and should handle aprox. 400HP,  my AMC 15 propably won't hold that power long  :rotfl:

oh, and lokking for something like 3,8+ ratio

best regards

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Rear end spaw question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 04:28:36 PM »
You need a Hornet/Concord Model 20. Everything else needs mods/welding.

If you want a big lift, an XJ D44 bolts in, as does an XJ 8.25.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:12:21 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline WASyL

• mimokXD
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Concord freak
    • Optimal Сasual Dating - Actual Women
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 02:35:06 PM »
and eagle one won't fit ?

[EDIT] just found my answer, will have to do the welding to but it's better than this AMC 15 with 2,5 ratio

best regards

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:45:34 PM by WASyL »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 12:16:43 PM »
Eagles only came with Model 15 rear from the factory and to fit the wider axle under the car they went with a mid drive offset wheel. If you put 2wd rims on an Eagle/XJ axle, under even the Eagle, the rear fenders would be sitting on the tire. You COULD run front wheel drive rims to tuck the tire further in. (part of the reason for the Eagle fender flares was to cover the tires)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 03:37:30 PM »
Commanche Dana44s might work as is. Those have spring pads underneath and no shock mounts just like the Concord has, and the spring pad width is the correct width.

I disagree about 2WD rims not working on an Eagle. If you measure the outside of the fender flare to the tire on a stock Eagle arrangement is comes out to about 2-1/2 inches. That is hideous. I add a 2" spacer to make up for that or I use a rim that offsets the tire about 2" further out, like the factory Spirit AMX rims. Visually the tire should be about 1/2" in from the fender flare.

The WMS of the Eagle, MJ, XJ, and TJ axles are all about 61". CJ axles are about 54" and Scout axles 58". The ideal WMS would be about 65". For about $1200 on ebay you can have a Dana 60 shortened to that amount and even given 5x4.5 bolt pattern with disk brakes. Look at posts intended for TJ or YJ post and there are currently several people offering them.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 12:20:35 AM »
MJ spring pads are 1/2" off on each side from Eagle/XJ or AMC 2wd bodies. The MJ has the springs under the frame for weight carrying. XJ are outside the frame. I found that out when I put an XJ axle in my MJ. YJ might be th same offset.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:21:01 AM by carnuck »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk