News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:12:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there an off the shelf 4.0 header that will fit in the Eagle?  (Read 4960 times)

Offline Brentmo

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Is there an off the shelf 4.0 header that will fit in the Eagle?
« on: February 25, 2014, 02:42:48 AM »
Working on a stroker swap for my 83 SX4.  It has the 4.0 block and head.  I know several/many have completed swaps involving the 4.0 head.   Reading through the posts, sounds like most have fabricated headers from tubing or from one or two cut up Cherokee manifolds.  Has anyone found an off the shelf set of headers that will bolt on and clear the differential and everything else, or at least with minimal modification? There's lots of different designs offered, does anyone have an idea about one or more that look like they're the right shape to fit?  Prafeston, what did you do?  Thanks. 
Take my advice, I'm not using it...

08 JK Unlimited - daily driver
98 K1500 HT383 stroker - pulling, camping, road trips
83 SX4 Sport - resto project underway

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Is there an off the shelf 4.0 header that will fit in the Eagle?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 05:09:04 AM »
On both my strokers i used regular 4.0  cherokee headers. One is cut where the 2 sets come together  to make dual exaust that was a bitc h to acomplish lots of put it on take it off bend it weld it yell at it hit it with a bfh.  The other is single exaust and i just had to bend the pipe after the header to make it clear. Wasn't hard at all.

Manitowoc WI

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 05:37:06 AM »
Forgot to add i modified that diff bracket a bit to clear an exaust pipe or 2. Its really a no brainer.

Manitowoc WI

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 07:56:09 AM »
When I had my 4.0 head installed, I used the "header" style exhaust manifold with the built in expansion joints.  The guy that installed it said they heated the header and bent it to fit, and I think they then modified the exhaust pipe to fit.  I think its easier to access the joint between the header and exhaust pipe now than the stock configuration.

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=42319.0;all
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:01:19 AM by vangremlin »
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Brentmo

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 12:08:33 AM »
Thanks for the help mudkicker715 and vangremlin!  Excellent pictures on your thread, too.  I must say I'm a big fan of Pepe.  I'm wondering if something like this will clear the differential bracket and then new pipes could be formed and brought up to connect? 

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 12:21:50 AM »
I'm no expert but those look like they could be made to work.  Price is always a consideration, not sure how much something like that cost.  I think I paid about $20 for my header style exhaust manifold from the junkyard.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Brentmo

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 01:29:29 AM »
Point well taken, vangremlin!  Those are Drakes, listed for 280 something in stainless @ Quadratec.  The factory header type manifold is by far the better value.  Just trying to build a little of the dream here, so asking questions, and exploring all options.   

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 08:25:31 AM »
Its good to know all the options, because even if you don't end up buying the Drakes they might give you some ideas on how to deal with the problem.  Good luck with your build, I'm enjoying reading about it.  That is going to be one fun Eagle!!
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk