News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 27, 2024, 03:31:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: clifford 6 intake manifold Carb Size?  (Read 3608 times)

Offline amcman73

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
clifford 6 intake manifold Carb Size?
« on: September 30, 2012, 02:04:10 PM »
So I am looking to get a Clifford 6 intake manifold for my sx/4 and I was wondering What is the best size carburetor to run with it. And if any one has it on there Eagle and are really happy with it?  Thanks for the help :amc:

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: clifford 6 intake manifold Carb Size?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:10:52 PM »
I've got a Clifford intake and a holley 390 cfm vaccum secondary.  Runs really nice but the carb may be a little big as I wasn't able to adjust it down to the 550 rpm in drive idle speed.  Slowest I can get it to run is between 600 and 650 rpm in drive.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 01:27:46 PM »
I run the Clifford 6=8 and the Offy 4bbl intakes on several of my Jeeps and Eagles.  Both work great.  I run the 287 CFM Motorcraft 2150 on ALL of them.  Anything bigger I have found is too big!!!  The 1.08 venturis 2100 and 2150 are the way to go.  Depensing on the casting of the intake, sometimes the carb mounts sideways on the intake, just FYI
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »
I've got a Clifford intake and a holley 390 cfm vaccum secondary.  Runs really nice but the carb may be a little big as I wasn't able to adjust it down to the 550 rpm in drive idle speed.  Slowest I can get it to run is between 600 and 650 rpm in drive.

I've since found out there is an idle adjustment screw for the secondaries and have been able to get the idle down to the factory 550 rpm setting.

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »
I'm a fan of Quadrajets and Thermoquads. They should run just like a 2bbl until the engine needs a little more. The Quadrajet has better community support.

Here's someone who used a QJ
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »
I'm a fan of Quadrajets and Thermoquads. They should run just like a 2bbl until the engine needs a little more.

A vaccum secondary Holley also runs like a 2bbl until the engine needs a little more.  I've got a quadrajet on my Corvette and it runs quite poorly.  I plan on rebuilding it in the spring and hopefully that fixes it up.

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »
  I've got a quadrajet on my Corvette and it runs quite poorly.  I plan on rebuilding it in the spring and hopefully that fixes it up.

If you've never done one before, I suggest Cliff Ruggles book. Best book I've ever purchased, fulll of settings, tips and tricks to really makes these things work.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »
  I've got a quadrajet on my Corvette and it runs quite poorly.  I plan on rebuilding it in the spring and hopefully that fixes it up.

If you've never done one before, I suggest Cliff Ruggles book. Best book I've ever purchased, fulll of settings, tips and tricks to really makes these things work.

I've never done one before, I'll check it out - thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk