News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 12:48:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Possible cowl leak  (Read 1861 times)

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Possible cowl leak
« on: July 27, 2011, 02:19:18 AM »
Team,

I have most of my interior out of my car.  I do have the dash and the seats, no carpets.  I was cruising around in the rain yesterday and I noticed a puddle on my passenger side floor pan.  I looked around the windshield (new) and the door but nothing was wet or dripping down and the headliner was dry as was the cardboard (replaced well plugs last season).  I started looking low and noticed the sound pad that attaches to the fire was wet.  But the pad directly under the A-pillar was dry.  I suspected heater core/coolant but upon using the old "taste test" it is definitely H20. 

Before I pull it all apart is it possible the cowl is not draining water properly and putting it back into the car??  Has this happened to anyone??  I am asking as I do not have  a lot of time and want to be pretty sure in my movements as I daily drive the car.

Thanks for the Help

Sam
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: Possible cowl leak
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:30:32 AM »
I have the same issue with the SX/4, weird thing is, it doesn't do it all the time, I had originally thought it may have been the cowel seams under the fenders. I haven't had enough ambition (I really don't want to scratch the paint) to take the fenders back off the car just to have it prove me wrong, lol. My second thought, was the out side air vent, I noticed prior, that if I left it open, the water spot would be there, so I tried leaving it closed. It seemed to work, but yesterday, it had rained like mad, I had forgot to close the vent, but the car stayed dry  ???. So now I really don't know what it is that's leaking, I guess it's time for a hose test. My thoughts go back to the seams under the fenders.....
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 02:45:43 PM »
I know what it is!
Check your luggage rack bolt on the passenger side door. Pull up on the luggage rack and if it moves up and down. that is your leak! My 84 Eagle had a leak..I put some 3M black putty sealant on it and the leak stopped. The leaking/water/rain will run down the A pillar on the car onto the floor in the passengers side.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:19:54 PM »
I had a pretty big leak onto my passenger side floor.  It turned out the water was following the antenna wire through that piece of the car and dripping down onto the floor.  The cowl drains out right above the antenna wire, and if the grommet for the wire is gone it will follow the wire into the passenger compartment.  Its easy to check, just run some water into the cowl, if you open the door slightly you'll be able to see the wire and see if water is following it inside. I picked up a grommet from Lowe's, and filled in the gap with silicone.  No more leaks!  Good luck
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 08:05:55 AM »
You know, I never thought of that  :-[, Good tip!
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk