News:

Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Den.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.  And, if you were you banned at another AMC Eagle Forum and cannot log in here?  Let us know and we will fix it for you. 

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• October 23, 2018, 05:38:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Engine / Re: Engine Removal Problem
« Last post by eaglefreek on Yesterday at 09:53:43 PM »
Well it’s out. It wasn’t seized on the input shaft. I went underneath and took off the bolts on the flywheel and it still didn’t come out. Turns out that I missed the bolt on the drivers side engine mount to the front diff.  :banghead:
Don't feel bad. Years ago, I put a new engine in a Mustang SVO I used to own and decided to put a different camshaft in it after installing the engine. The cam shaft retainer is on the back of the head and tough to get to when installed in the car. Well, I dropped one of the retainer's screws right down an oil galley. I had to pull the engine back out to drop the pan to get the screw out.  :banghead:
East Coast Sanctuary / Re: Have 4 maybe 5 Eagles for the sanctuary
« Last post by IRON HORSE on Yesterday at 12:53:09 PM »
  Hello All,    Still alive here in southern Maryland  :hello2: have several Eagles that need homes .. price is right to someone who wants to keep the AMC name out there on the road .. just let me know.                               v/r Iron Horse  :o
« Last post by vangremlin on October 21, 2018, 04:49:26 PM »
Doh!  At least its out now, and if you ever have to do it again you could get it out in no time.

Don't know how many times I've done stuff like that myself, thinking there has to be something really odd wrong, and then turns out to be a case of "mechanic error" and it was something simple all along. 
« Last post by BigBird on October 21, 2018, 01:11:21 AM »
Well it’s out. It wasn’t seized on the input shaft. I went underneath and took off the bolts on the flywheel and it still didn’t come out. Turns out that I missed the bolt on the drivers side engine mount to the front diff.  :banghead:
Suspension, Steering, Brakes, Wheels & Tires / Re: Lift kit opinions...
« Last post by rmick on October 19, 2018, 10:30:29 PM »
Suspension, Steering, Brakes, Wheels & Tires / Re: Lift kit opinions...
« Last post by JCJones on October 19, 2018, 09:44:55 PM »
Hello all, so I'm new here, and although I have wanted an Eagle for 20+ years the opportunity never arose until last week. I picked up an '83 Limited wagon.

On the subject of lifting these, there are some serious limitations with the IFS as far as lift but looking at the exploded view in the service manual and inspecting the car itself, it seems that with three custom brackets the differential could be lowered 2" or 3" and solve the problem with the CV angle. With 1" spring spacers (should give ~2.5" of lift), and a custom 3" ball joint spacer for the top ball joint it seems that 5"+ of front lift could be achievable with only minor other modifications on the cheap (custom strut bar, and possibly longer tie rod sleeves).

It also seemed that custom tube control arms could be fairly easily made that incorporate 3" to 4" of drop, heim joints for the steering to handle the angle since a dropped pitman arm and dropped idler arm would be problematic, long links for the stabilizer bar, and custom dropped strut bars.

Has anyone done any of that to get a nice lift (~6" or so) while keeping the IFS?

JC Jones
The Engine / Re: Valve cover questions
« Last post by AMC1 on October 19, 2018, 05:16:39 PM »
Actually when enlargening the holes you want to slot them - not increase the inside diameter with a larger drill bit.
Under the Hood & HVAC / Re: Stronger blower motor?
« Last post by mo.eagles on October 19, 2018, 04:12:04 PM »
My 3rd wagon (Thing 2) did not move very much air . I finally pulled the fan out and found the air box full of rat nest. 
Hatchlings / Re: New Denver Member
« Last post by dkoug on October 19, 2018, 10:36:07 AM »
My second Eagle, 82 was full load limited and sold to my son 5 years ago.  Been looking for one since and found my new love 85 Basic not even a drivers side mirror.
Raised the hatch and did not need my head to hold it up. Daily driver by a 91 year old gentleman for last 20 years.  Everything seems to work and in local High School Automotive shop for good check over. Hopefully no hidden rust issues.
I am in Love Again
AMC Eagles Den Updates & News / Re: Donate button
« Last post by vangremlin on October 18, 2018, 11:00:45 PM »
Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10