News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 02:57:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NEED HELP FAST  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Re: NEED HELP FAST
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 10:03:02 AM »
I have been reading posts/reviews both good and bad about Gronk Performance. I have tried his website with no luck. Seems like he has steadily been going downhill for quite some time now. I would really like to make the 2100-2150 conversion and get rid of all the clutter of vacuum lines and associated things. Can someone tell me if he is still in business? ...
You could check ebay for his products.
I got one of his offshore 2150 & adapter. I specified: new not reman, AMC Eagle 258 with 4.0 head, choke combo of electric & hot air (HX inline with the coolant out of the intake manifold), focus reliability & fuel economy. Worked out of the box without adjustment, except for bending the bracket to adjust the throttle spring tension, and adjusting the 'kick-down' so the trany isn't trashed. I did have a chore tracing down all of the vac sources to either use or cap. Others have had to rebuild theirs. This appears to be a YRMV. I'd recommend the 2150 over 2100, just so it's something slightly more 'modern'.

He's still listing on ebay. Kit with carb, or adapter kit (studs & gaskets).
https://www.ebay.com/usr/ehrmannmp
https://www.ebay.com/p/1223345683

Don't be so quick to get rid of the vac stuff. First understand what each does and brings to the table, then pick and choose. Emissions requirements in your area are a factor too.

Once you're back, you'd be surprised how much you can do yourself.

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 03:41:39 PM »
My last post on this topic.

Just wanted to let everyone know they just pulled into the driveway. From Page, AZ to Amarillo in one day. Then from Amarillo to Copperas Cove today.

Thanks again for all the advice and tips and help.

Thank you.

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 04:35:57 PM »
Doing a ECM Test bypass and a proper 2150 motorcraft carb would help. That will give you the chance to remove a bunch of problem vacuum parts. Only reason I would say avoid the Gronk upgrade ( I have one ) is the carburetor is a Chinese made copy. If you can find a original either in a junk yard or on evil bay I think you would be better off.
Even with my gronk carb and a ECM Test bypass mine ran better. I think the ethanol fuel is a problem. I also did a hei upgrade, used the gym style with the coil in cap and the controller built into the base.
Another problem is the electrical, bad connections wrapped in duct tape and over wrapped in electrical tape.
I spent most of the winter cleaning that up and installing the hei.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 05:34:41 PM by Taylor »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 11:16:14 AM »
Glad to hear they made it safely!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"