News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:12:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Questions on MC2150 / ECM Test bypass / HEI distributor end result  (Read 1050 times)

Offline zeebo76

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
OK, so I finally got sick and tired of chasing down my sputtering issue and I want to do the big 3 common underhood improvements - MC2150, ECM Test, HEI Distributor - all together, in one batch.  I will be ordering one of GRONK’s kits (with manual choke), including the distributor upgrade.

I understand the purpose of doing all 3 for most people, including me:  Simplifying the car, and improving its driving characteristics.  That is to say - more responsiveness, more power, less clutter and complexity when working on the car under the hood in the future.

HOWEVER, while I have a good GENERAL understanding of what the process will be, I am less clear on exactly what will be removed (I want to have the 258 “backdated” to a pre-emissions configuration, and simplified to the Max in all other ways) by the end.  So, a few questions (and assumptions, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong), for clarity’s sake:

1: Will the only thing left connected vacuum-wise be vacuum advance and 4WD?

2: Will I be able to remove the ignition control module? (I have seen it mentioned a few times in conjunction with the HEI distributor upgrade when done with the ECM Test bypass)

3: I believe I still have a factory catalytic converter.  If it’s not blown out by now, will removing the pulse air injection system necessitate removing/replacing the cat? I have read that original catalytic converters required pulse air so they didn’t melt down.  (BTW:  I have had it checked out, it is not the source of my eagle sputtering on acceleration.  It is free-flowing enough). I am assuming yes.

4:  How many engine-related sensors will I still need by the end, considering I have an automatic transmission and will be using a manual choke?  (Not for long, but I will still use the automatic trans for a while before swapping an AX-15 in its place)

5:  is it theoretically possible to find a way to delete the engine control module altogether?  I want this eagle SIMPLE, and I mean it.  I am guessing that such a delete might require a manual transmission first.

Forgive any ignorance on my part, I’m not a professional mechanic...  this is a pretty daunting project for me at the moment, but once I get started I’m sure it’ll get easier.  I just need to get my head on straight first, and having the end goals be clearer will help a lot with that.

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk