News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:16:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Exaust Manifold Coming, what is this thing?? (ERG Tube)  (Read 9808 times)

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
New Exaust Manifold Coming, what is this thing?? (ERG Tube)
« on: March 04, 2016, 07:29:13 PM »
Had to pull my manifold out to get the exhaust off for a trans swap. Bolts to the exhaust flange were rusted on so had to cut. Soooo I have a new one coming. Question is do I need this connection from the intake to exhaust manifold? Ive done the bypass if its related to that. Can I plug both? Is there a replacement to buy somewhere? Can I make a new one kind of like brake lines but bigger assuming they sell that diameter metal tubing?

The fittings are pretty rusted on so Id rather just cut it off. Thanks.

Untitled by T A, on Flickr

also can I pull this red wire out assuming its connected to the computer?  I pulled the computer is not even in the car anymore.
If I can Ill make a metal plate and gasket to cover kinda like that ERG cover.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:40:45 PM by TEagle85 »

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: New Exaust Manifold Coming, what is this thing??
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 07:36:28 PM »
I'm not sure about this, but I believe that tube allowed exhaust gas to flow from exhaust to the intake when the EGR valve was open.  Since you don't have the EGR valve any more, and if the tube is open, then exhaust gas may be flowing to the intake all the time.  You probably don't need the tube any longer., but you would need to make sure the connection points in the intake and exhaust are plugged.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 07:39:39 PM »
Yeah I have all kinds of holes to plug on the intake and exhaust manifold, that may be another two. All kinds of neglected sensors all over the place on there

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 07:42:37 PM »
What's another couple holes to plug?   ;)

I did the 4.0 head swap on my Kammback, utilizing the original intake and a 4.0 header style exhaust manifold. There is no place for the tube to connect to the exhaust so we just plugged the connection point in the intake.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 08:37:14 PM »
And that red wire is the EFE heater (EFE = Early Fuel Evaporation).  It heats the fuel/air charge when the engine is cold to improve cold-weather drivability.   I personally like having the EFE; but the only drawback of not having it is cold drivability.   Its not hooked to the computer in any way.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 12:57:07 AM »
hi, that pipe you are pointing to is the EGR pipe, and believe it or not, is still available new, NEW, from Mopar. it's not cheap though, about $40.. I just bought one a couple of months ago. If thats the original pipe, you will NOT get it out with just a wrench. the manifolds need to come out of the car, and the pipe threads need to be heated Cherry red with a torch, then sprayed with cold water, "thermal shock", and then they MAY loosen up and can be taken out. before you do this, be aware that it is a fairly hard to find thread pitch, so a plug is not easy to find at your local hardware store. I believe it's a Metric thread, not impossible to find, but not easy either. Unless you are pulling the manifolds, I humbly suggest you leave it alone. It is a BEAR to remove. I have the part # somewhere, if you want a new one I can dig it up, just not right now. Having said all that, you know that the EGR valve doesn't hamper performance, and is actually a good thing to have, and helps clean up emissions, you may consider putting one back in, so the system works as designed. The red wire is the preheater, also nice to have. Runs off the oil pressure switch through a relay.. good luck, gz

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 03:10:37 PM »
Thumbs up awarded to amcfool1 for a thoughtful, useful response that makes a good case for doing the right thing environmentally, without any preaching.  Always good to see that on the 'board.

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 03:29:09 PM »
Thanks amcfol1!  Both manifolds are already out and the exhaust manifold needs to be replaced.
Id like that part number if you have it.  My ERG valve is long gone and if it needs a maze of vacuum tubing or a computer to work all of that is long gone as well. Ill have to look into restoring that function. Maybe that tube could help for now until I get a new valve.
At least at this point I will cut the tube and I will only have to focus on getting the intake manifold fitting out. I see the new exhaust manifold coming in the mail has it already plugged. 
Definitely want to keep the preheater so thanks for identifying that guys!
At this point the car is a toy that sits in the garage 95% of the time. I haven't owned a car in ten years and ride a bicycle everyday rain or shine, snow or sleet here in Chicago. I use that as an excuse for some wiggle room with my transportation carbon footprint  ;).  This car has been a fun project allowing me to expand my mechanical abilities after being a bicycle mechanic for the last 8 years. At this point Im pretty sure I could build a bike blindfolded so Im enjoying these challenges this Eagle has thrown my way.

Thanks again guys!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:39:06 PM by TEagle85 »

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: New Exaust Manifold Coming, what is this thing(ERG tube)??
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 05:40:21 PM »

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: New Exaust Manifold Coming, what is this thing?? (ERG Tube)
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 08:11:19 PM »
hey, glad you found it, and, did better than me, I paid list price at my local Mopar dealer!  You don't need the computer to run EGR, just a CTO (Coolant temperature Overide) switch, which I see you already have, about two inches west of your finger, uh huh, that way. One port to the EGR, and the other to carb vac. not sure which right now, but easy to look up in any vac diagram. BTW, we used to live in Yorkville, IL,  about 50 miles southwest of Chicago, and our 82 Eagle sedan was absolutely the right car for those winter storms, NEVER got stuck. good luck, gz

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 10:53:21 AM »
My pipe on my Eagle doesn't even exist! WTF?! Mines an 87. and it has an egr. Another mystery from a previous owner, the marv LeRoy from WI. Oh boy
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 12:39:54 PM »
If you remove the EGR you will see two holes under it.  The tube just allows exhaust gas to flow from the exhaust manifold to the lower hole under the EGR.  The EGR, when activated, allows a metered amount of that gas to flow to the upper hole, into the intake.  The EGR is closed in it's resting position, so by blocking it off, you've sealed it for good.  If you remove the tube, you should only need to seal up the threaded hole on the exhaust manifold.  I kept the valve on mine to help with emissions.  Unless it has a problem (stuck open, metering orifice incorrect allowing too much exhaust flow), it shouldn't affect performance.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 08:27:01 PM »
If you remove the EGR you will see two holes under it.  The tube just allows exhaust gas to flow from the exhaust manifold to the lower hole under the EGR.  The EGR, when activated, allows a metered amount of that gas to flow to the upper hole, into the intake.  The EGR is closed in it's resting position, so by blocking it off, you've sealed it for good.  If you remove the tube, you should only need to seal up the threaded hole on the exhaust manifold.  I kept the valve on mine to help with emissions.  Unless it has a problem (stuck open, metering orifice incorrect allowing too much exhaust flow), it shouldn't affect performance.

Cool to know. Thank you!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 09:18:55 AM »
I ended up blocking off the erg tube and valve for now. I'll work on getting that function back another day since I have so many other things to tackle. Motor and trans rebuild included. You can see more in the project thread.

The intake manifold heater just looks to be some positive(?) springs that lead to a few conductive discs which short the circuit causing it to heat up??? Looks like that to me. Just one wire in. Does the aluminum intake ground it somehow?   Anyway one of the discs broke and the part is nowhere.
Anyone have any specs or ideas on what temperature this thing heated up to?

What I'm going to do is bail on the old stuff and put in a new heating element.
Got this coming in from eBay.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161945313690

Basically a small heating element that heats up to 70c on 12v DC.   
Instead of trying to tie the electronics into the system I'm going to make a Manual switch next to all my others inside the car. Flick it on when the car is in the start position, warm, then start, drive and turn off when engine is at temp. Won't do this in the summer but for sure in the winter.

Will that temp rating be enough you think?
Close to operating temp. The other option is 200c and I think that's waaaay too hot for gas to be hitting.

PS also had to refab the metal plate on the bottom since the old one was all rusted out.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:38:34 AM by TEagle85 »

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
also thought this was interesting.
found this new preheater for a VW. looks identical except for the half moon cut out which would be easy to do. Not spending $75 on that though. Ill stick with my $5 fix.

VW Intake Manifold Pre Heater 026-129-893 New NOS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361548572101?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:05:30 PM by TEagle85 »

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 12:15:12 PM »
that makes sense, if you look closely under the rust, or in the "fins" you will find that your original part is actually of VW/Audi manufacture. good luck, gz

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 12:24:54 PM »
Thanks, just looking for at least one blessing before I start making my own preheater. Concept seems simple enough. I'll keep it updated though this topic just shifting to the intake manifold.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk