News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:31:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Power Steering Pulley  (Read 2813 times)

Offline keverbeek

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Power Steering Pulley
« on: January 08, 2020, 12:16:04 PM »
Hi Forum
I could't find a thread with the right topic for my question (could't even find a search box) sorry.

I recently replaced the power steering pump on my L6 Eagle. Unfortunately Rockauto only sells them without the pulley.  :banghead:  I don't understand who would buy a new pump but still reuse the old pulley, but hey...

Anyways, I can not get my old pulley off the old pump. In the process of trying I also bent the pulley, so thats gone anyway.

does anyone know how to get a new pulley, or how to resolve this problem?

I am from switzerland, europe. So I dont have access to a junkyard with eagle parts. And I dont know what other pulley would fit mine close enough or whatever.

I appreciate your help
greating from the alps!
Kevin

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
Re: Power Steering Pulley
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 10:11:07 PM »
I just did mine last week. The local parts store have tool loaner program available and was able to rent the tool for that particular job. Not sure what you have available there. I know Harbor freight also sells the tool for about 20 bucks. Search You tube videos for Saginaw  pump pulley removal you can see how the tool is used and might be able to make a home made puller as well. The saginaw pump was used an all GM vehicles you can maybe get a used on of them of the same diameter. Not sure if the GM ones will be a double pulley for the smog pump if you are still using the smog pump.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 10:22:12 PM by rmick »
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 11:36:28 PM »
hi, speedwaymotors.com , sells a variety of pulleys. look for Saginaw Power steering pump pulley. you need a special tool to remove AND reinstall. Harbor Freight here has them. good luck, gz

btw, I am from CZ.

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 07:18:57 PM »
Hopefully you will find one. It is possible you can contact a U.S. junk yard and have them ship it.
I know when I bought my steering pump it came with the pulley but no reservoir tank.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 07:00:18 PM »
Hi Forum
I could't find a thread with the right topic for my question (could't even find a search box) sorry.

I recently replaced the power steering pump on my L6 Eagle. Unfortunately Rockauto only sells them without the pulley.  :banghead:  I don't understand who would buy a new pump but still reuse the old pulley, but hey...

Anyways, I can not get my old pulley off the old pump. In the process of trying I also bent the pulley, so thats gone anyway.

does anyone know how to get a new pulley, or how to resolve this problem?

I am from switzerland, europe. So I dont have access to a junkyard with eagle parts. And I dont know what other pulley would fit mine close enough or whatever.

I appreciate your help
greating from the alps!
Kevin

Hi Kevin --

I sent you a PM, but maybe it didn't go through.  I pulled the P/S pump off my parts car this afternoon, borrowed the removal tool locally, and removed the pulley.  See attached photos.  So the pulley is yours for the taking if you can cover the shipping to Switzerland.  I would estimate the shipping at $25-$30 USD but won't be sure until I go to mail it.

Please let me know either way.

David
[email protected]
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 08:25:49 PM »
Thumbs up awarded.

Manitowoc WI

Offline keverbeek

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 04:59:50 PM »

Hi Kevin --

I sent you a PM, but maybe it didn't go through.  I pulled the P/S pump off my parts car this afternoon, borrowed the removal tool locally, and removed the pulley.  See attached photos.  So the pulley is yours for the taking if you can cover the shipping to Switzerland.  I would estimate the shipping at $25-$30 USD but won't be sure until I go to mail it.

Please let me know either way.

David
[email protected]

Hey David
You are awesome mate, thank you very very much! You just made my weekend :)
That would be great and I will gladly pay for the shipping, no worries!
I ll send you an PM email with all the details.

How good is that to have a spare part Eagle. I am slightly jealous!

Thanks for your altruistic help!

And for all other comments as well. I checked on the puller/installation tool and now I can fabricate one for the installation, yeha!

Have a good one all together
cheers  :occasion14:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk