News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:33:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: carburator swap  (Read 4228 times)

82SX4

carburator swap
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »
 :help:
I have no idea where to post this request but here goes....
I took my 82 sx4 to the mechanic because it's running like a turd. All the smog hoses are cracked & bad. The car sputters, coughs then goes on down the road running like a turd. It dies at all stopsigns. When I take it out of gear, pump the gas it'll sometimes run. The mechanic suggested a different carb & take all the smog stuff off. He recommended a 76 or 77 jeep carb. My brother is a fan of your amc site & had read about carb replacement w/ any ford but he couldn't remember which one. He said he thought that you guys had said any ford like the carb off my 67 ford mustang.....or off a ford truck..... please help....
sincerely,
faye   

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: carburator swap
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »
Sounds like your mechanic is thinking of replacing it with a non-feedback Carter BBD from an earlier AMC engine.  If you do not have emissions checks in your area it sounds like his/her plan is a good one.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:23:43 PM »
If you do not need to keep your smog reduction equipment, you can replace the feedback BBD carb with a non-feedback BBD carb from an earlier AMC. Many think that the Motorcraft 2100 or 2150 is a better replacement carb. They are a two barrel carb from many Ford and Mercury engines. There are different sizes of Motorcraft carbs, the ones that are the proper size for the 258 have 1.08 cast into the body of the carb. You will also need a base adapter to bolt the carb on and linkage for the throttle, along with air cleaner.

82SX4

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 02:31:05 PM »
 :rotfl: 
thanks guys,
the mechanic recommended the rockauto autolite c6183.
this car is driving me crazy. it will be almost new by the time i'm done....gg!!!
also. there is a amc stationwagon here in the junk yard.... anyone interested in parts??? if so I will check on year & so forth.... just not sure where to post that kind of stuff...
thank you guys,,,
sincerely
 faye

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk