The Mighty 258 > Engine Electrical Systems.

1988 only will start in start posistion

<< < (3/3)

MIPS:
Other than a bad ballast resistor, a column ignition switch that doesn't pass power in the ON position or a break in the wiring between the ignition module and the starter solenoid another thing is that in later models the ignition tach passes through the computer. I don't know if this is bypassed during starting but make sure the computer is receiving power in the RUN position.

kr2222:
ok back working on the eagle. tested  the coil and and found it is good but i have battery voltage at the positive side of the coil in the on position, ballis resitor? where is it?

AMC of Houston:
Its actually a piece of "resistance" wire.   The next step in the test procedure is to unplug the "I" terminal wire from the starter solenoid, then check the voltage at the coil positive terminal (with ignition on).    If it drops down to where it should be, replace the solenoid.  If it is still at battery voltage, then could be other problem.

Tell you what; I'm gonna scan the test procedure and email it to you.   If you plan to keep the ol' Bird, get a copy of the MR251 manual - they are all over Ebay - money well spent!

Illeagle1984:
So you're saying if you hold the key to start, it will fire up and continue run with requisite 'starter zing' correct?  If that's the case, it's definitely electrical.  With the key on, engine off, does the radio & blower motor work?  If so, I'd say the ignition switch et. al. are probably okay.  Buuuut, it also sounds like there's a main wire that should have power with key on but does not, which the ignition switch controls...You're looking for somewhere that should have power with key on, but instead only has power in start.  You might start with the fuse block; just turn the key on and start poking with a test light.  If there is a major fuse or two that doesn't have power in run but does in start, you can look upstream toward that ignition switch.

I would disconnect the big wire from the starter to make diagnosis simpler.  That way you can focus on testing instead of listening to the engine :censored: and cough all over the place.

*edit* Is there anywhere I can see a list of censored words?  It doesn't bother me, actually it made me laugh because it was a kindergarten level word, PG rated at worst and it just surprised me that it was removed.   :rotfl:

kr2222:
the ignition switch and starter soleniod are new but i will check the as you mentioned to be sure. thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version