1979 - 1983 AMC Spirits and 1978 - 1983 AMC Concords > Spirit/Concord Projects

Spirit AMX SR-4 T-5 swap

(1/3) > >>

TwoEaglesForMe:
So today I start my new project of swapping the broken SR-4 for a T-5.  AX-15 is out of the question due to lack of funds and availability.  Will post lots of pics and info as I go along.  Should be fun and interesting.  I didn't see much here on the forum on 2wd swaps so I hope my project helps out others too. Stay tuned...

TwoEaglesForMe:
I found a donor T-5 today on craigslist.  Pulled the SR-4 from the car and took it apart to see what was broke.  The main shaft was split in 2 and a bunch of gears missing teeth and a whole lots of broken pieces in the bottom of the case.  Somebody did not love this car enough to treat it well.  Anyway here are some pics of the 2 transmissions side by side.

So far everything I have researched has worked.  I am using a clutch pack for an 83 CJ-7,  part # 01-017.  T-5 trans from a 1988 mustang lx 5.0,  # 1352-169.  Dorman pilot bushing 690-043. I ordered the steel bearing retainer from quadratec part# 52129.03  The trans mount I will have to fab up somehow,  but I got one for the mustang part # EM2388.  The flywheel is at the machine shop getting re-surfaced and should be ready tomorrow.  The driveshaft fits no problems spline count is the same.  I will however have to cut the floor back just a few inches to clear the shifter,  but won't be noticeable due to the boot and carpet covering it up.  Anybody have suggestions on the type of fluid I should use in this gearbox?  I was thinking royal purple or some other synthetic brands.  So far this swap is going quite smoothly and I can't wait to drive it.  The speed sensors are different,  so I will have to find one and adapt it.  Also I will be installing the power steering,  power brakes,  and tilt column from my parts Eagle,  as the Spirit doesn't have them.  Till tomorrow........

eaglefreek:
Cool. What ratio is in the rear axle?

TwoEaglesForMe:
It is a 2.53.   I probably wont even need 5th gear lol but at least now I can source parts down the road in case something happens.  Seems the SR-4 went bye-bye long time ago.  None of my 8 parts suppliers could find a clutch kit for it.  Funny how they would put a small disc and 3 bolt pressure plate behind the 258 in that car,  but use the more common 10 inch disc and 6 bolt pressure plate on everything else?  This is my 2nd AMC to have a manual trans.  My 81 FSJ Cherokee clutch kit was identical to the one I just bought today,  held up great behind that 401 up to the day I sold it.  I still kick myself for doing that.

BenM:
Be wary of GL-5 fluids. I think the standard T5s can run GL-4 or Mobil 1 GL-5, which is safe for yellow metals. "World Class" T5s need a thinner fluid because of the bearings, something Synchromesh compatible. I can't say that I've ever run Redline or Royal Purple, I use Valvoline or Mobil 1.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version