News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:04:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Water leak from Passenger Visor Mount  (Read 3903 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Water leak from Passenger Visor Mount
« on: September 04, 2019, 12:22:09 AM »
We had a pretty dry year and didn't really notice until about a week ago that after a rainfall I had a good drip coming down from the plastic trim joint closest to the passenger side visor mount. The headliner had to come down anyways to be resurfaced and I was able to find the area had surface rust, signs of dried water streams and when you sprayed water on the roof, a drip.

A mirror and paper strips finds it's dry above the drip and below. I inspected the seals and bushings for the roof rack and they were tight but I siliconed the screws back in when I reattached it. I sprayed water over it to verify it was not the source. I also sprayed water over the top of the windshield and it's not from there either. With the headliner removed I can also confirm it's not the chrome trim strips running the length of the roof either.
I only started to get water inside when it ran into the drain channel over the doors for a few seconds, but I cannot find any indications that it's rusted through somewhere. How was this portion of the body welded together and was it sealed? Both my lights, mirrors and cameras can't get into the tight space from the inside of the body to verify but I have no idea how the heck it's getting fromt here to where it's dripping, considering there is no signs of water running down the A-pillar.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Re: Water leak from Passenger Visor Mount
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 08:40:46 PM »
It was in the rain channel. I ended up having to take the chrome trim off and then forcing UV and heat resistant clear silicone into the channel and then reshaping it with a popsicle stick before the leak would stop.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk