News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:48:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 81 Eagle Sport project  (Read 2376 times)

Offline young car guy

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
81 Eagle Sport project
« on: June 02, 2014, 10:59:31 PM »
I'm getting a 1981 Eagle sport with the 258 in it and a 91 jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 and i was going to take the cam shaft and rods out of the jeep and put it in the eagle and i was just wondering if their are any tips or tricks in doing so

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: 81 Eagle Sport project
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 11:14:08 PM »
Welcome. I think you got it a little backwards. You want to use the crankshaft and rods from the 258 and use them in the 4.0L. Do an online search for Jeep stroker. Your head will explode with the info available. Check out www.jeepstrokers.com
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 11:15:46 PM »
Or you might consider swapping the head and the camshaft over from the Cherokee.  The 4.0 head and camshaft swap are a good way to increase the power of your 258 engine.  I had this swap done on my engine, and it made a big difference.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 01:30:14 AM »
Used cam is not going to help much. 4.0L is the wrong grind for a 4.2L and has no cam lobe for the fuel pump either. It will ping like crazy due to not enough overlap plus a high mileage cam is already worn. Baja Beast and a few others work really nice with EFI or carb. There is a LOT of talk about that on the strokers list. I picked up a 4.0L HO cam from a motor that was barely broken in for my stroker (along with all the matching lifters) but I decided to do the beast instead because I'll run LPG. I'm too broke to do anything right now.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk