News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:20:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 84 Wagon underhood wiring diagram  (Read 17469 times)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: 84 Wagon underhood wiring diagram
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 12:01:42 PM »
The problem with some of the Eaglepedia links is that some of them still point you back to my original incarnation on the Nest.  Since the Nest no longer exists that has been causing some issues.  If you post a url to the Den's Eaglepedia make sure you replace the Nest stuff with the Den's name.   There are thousands of possible URL's in the Eaglepedia so it will take time to sort thru it for issues.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 04:21:24 PM »
There are a couple here.  http://www.amceaglesden.com/images/Downloads/81%20dealer%20price%20guide.pdf      I will have to rescan the other book that I have of them.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »
There are a couple here.  http://www.amceaglesden.com/images/Downloads/81%20dealer%20price%20guide.pdf      I will have to rescan the other book that I have of them.

Thanks. Gonna take awhile to load that all up...lol

Found my long lost FSM and there is a good diagram on C-57(diagram #70858A) but that's only the ignition system. I'm trying to patch the big FAT(largest of the 3) harness that runs from the bulkhead connector across the firewall and over the back of the valve cover. How much if any of that harness is devoted to the MCU?

84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 12:47:57 AM »
My Friend, the block you speak of, from 1979 to 1988 are almost perfectly the same, things like eletric windows,seats even fog lamps have there own harness, I rewired a burnt out 1985 SX4 from 1988 prints, Same for the Spirit 1985 print and spirit was a 1979. In later years AMC did not change anything that would cause money or problems, Cost was everything!
Keep that in mind and you can in basic rip a Eagle Down and rewire it all.
Anything added or new was almost always a added harness.
If it went from fire wall out just used not used pins.
I am first to tell you I am not expert, let me look at the print, I will tell you next update which pins or wires you need concern yourself with.
Anything you can add to be more on point of what you are trying to do, please add.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 09:31:37 PM »

Anything you can add to be more on point of what you are trying to do, please add.

Thanks, I figured they were all pretty much the same. There's a large mess I'm trying to resolve and with my luck I'm Just trying to be extra sure, read twice & splice once. :P

Had the electric choke connector break off then ground to the carb and took a large chunk of the big FAT harness out. Mostly confined to the area of the vacuum canister/diagnostic ports but there is some hit or miss damage on the #10 red and #10 yellow wire back to the bulkhead connector. As far as I can tell the damage stayed under the hood. Also looks like at some point somebody hacked the harness in half to do an engine swap which explains why it's been acting up since I did the valve cover.

On a side note if the oil pressure switch isn't hooked up will it still run or will that just trigger the emergency shut-down? The worst damage went from the NSS plug to the oil pressure switch and that whole mini harness is fried down to the bare copper. I wired the 3 NSS wires directly to their corresponding wires in the main harness but there is no saving the oil pressure switch wires.

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 10:09:28 PM »
Found another good diagram
http://www.nexttime.com/mbrodeur/AMC/images/83WDEngI6CnSpEg.gif

What is the diode assembly in the top right, alternator? Or are those the blueish relays on the passenger side fender?

Since I'm in the wiring anyway I'd like to ditch the MCU/CEC stuff. Within the next year I plan on swapping a Cherokee 4.0 HO harness &fuel injection over.

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 02:27:43 PM »
Solved my wiring issues and put it all back together. It runs!

Only issue I have now I believe is a fried CEC/MCU. When the car is off the EMISSION MAINT light is on but when you go to start the car it goes out.

What do you guys think?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 03:36:50 PM »
Is it on all of the time when the car is off?

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 04:39:57 PM »
Is it on all of the time when the car is off?

Yup

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »

Thanks. Gonna take awhile to load that all up...lol

Found my long lost FSM and there is a good diagram on C-57(diagram #70858A) but that's only the ignition system. I'm trying to patch the big FAT(largest of the 3) harness that runs from the bulkhead connector across the firewall and over the back of the valve cover. How much if any of that harness is devoted to the MCU?

I know in '83 and '82 the MCU harness was a separate batch that plugged in behind the valve cover by the trans dipstick. It all came out when we converted SOTE to an Eagle from a Spirit and only required unplugging the harness and unscrewing the ground wires.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk