News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:23:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any idea what this connector is to?  (Read 4955 times)

83 SX/4

Any idea what this connector is to?
« on: October 02, 2011, 06:41:11 PM »
I am working on the interior and dash on my Eagle as it is just about ready to fly. There is a switch installed by a previous owner that connects to this connector located behind the glove box. Anyone know what this connector is for? I have not been able to successfully trace the wires coming out of it and there is no power going to the connector.

Offline profeagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 22
  • This is my new Eagle
Re: Any idea what this connector is to?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »
could be for electric hatch release ? if you have an sx4

83 SX/4

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 10:51:34 PM »
On mine the switch in the glovebox is for the fog lights.

Possibly but I do not currently have fog lights and I don't think my eagle came with them.

It is an sx4 but it does not appear to have an electric release. No motor in the hatch or any extra wiring besides the rear defroster going to the hatch.

The fact that someone added a switch to this does not make sense since there is no power going to or from either side of this connector so a switch would do nothing. Anyone know if the wiring for fog lights or electric release is present even if the accessory was not installed?

rohnk

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 11:15:43 PM »
Optional AC Thermostat I believe. I looked at the schematics in the TSM and that is what I came up with. There would be no voltage as it would be a thermistor device that plugs into this connector to sense temperature.

Violet wire, grey with stripe and gray wires correct? It is a little hard to tell for me on this end.

83 SX/4

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 12:14:05 AM »
Violet wire, grey with stripe and gray wires correct? It is a little hard to tell for me on this end.

That sounds like it. What would a switch connected to it do? Could this be a hack to get the AC compressor to kick in?

rohnk

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 10:26:23 AM »
I knew that question would come up. I think the switch would short the connector out and fool the system into turning the compressor on or off. 

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 12:20:44 PM »
Rohnkis right,it is for the A/C thermostat.
This thermostat has a sensor going to the evaporator and switches off the A/C clutch when it starts to freeze up.
I have put the same jumper in, so the A/C runs all time (when switch on of course).
W/o the thermostat was an option called: desert cool.
(not much chance to freeze up the evaporator with dry desert air).
What I do is switch the A/C off from time to time to allow the ice to melt and evaporate.
But then we have only ten really hot days in the Netherlands and I don't use the Eagle very much either.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline AMCKen

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 13
    • American Motors Club of Alberta
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 03:46:33 PM »

It is an sx4 but it does not appear to have an electric release. No motor in the hatch or any extra wiring besides the rear defroster going to the hatch.

The wiring for the electric hatch release doesn't run in the hatch. The solenoid is in the hatch but the connection for power is just to the right of the latch on the body. You'll see a copper coloured contact and a pin from the solenoid touches this to get power when you push the release button. The contacts need cleaning once in a while or the hatch won't release when you need it. : )
39Master85w.partscar,67Marlin343,68AMX343,70Machine,73Matador2drht401,
73-74-75-76GremlinXs,75PacerX,76Hornet2dsd,76-77Matadorcpes,
2-77AMXs304,78AMX304,78GremlinGT,78Concordsw,79Concordhb,79PacerDL304,
2-79AMXs304/401,2-80AMXs258/401,80SpiritDL304, 80Eagle4dsdn,3-81SX4s,
81SpiritGT,2-81Concord4dsd,82Eaglesw,2-85Eaglesw,2-80J20/360,85J10/258,2-88Eaglesw,
94Sentra2dsd   (42)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk