News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 09:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: choke fuse  (Read 8721 times)

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
Re: choke fuse
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 12:24:17 PM »
I found and cleaned up the oil switch and check continuity from the switch to the choke and it was good.  I was told if the oil switch was going bad it might not be strong enough to power the choke?  I will check it again in the morning, since it's the only time the choke doesn't seem to work right.  It still took 10 mins for the choke plate to open all the way.  I pump the pedal once, the plate closes all the way and it fires right up.  Nice smooth high idle, the plate is opened about 1/8 of an inch and I watch the choke plate, but it doesn't move.  I keep revving it every minute and around 8 min. the plate will open up and the idle goes down.  After another 2 min. the plate is straight open, I rev it one more time and then the plastic fast idle cam rolls over.  With a direct wire from the battery to the choke it only took about 2 mins before the plate starts to open.  I don't see the plate open up whiles it's running in the morning.  Not sure if I should loosen the 3 screws and turn the choke a little lean, or clockwise or not?  Will that help, the choke pull off seems right, not sure where to try next other than running the new 12v wire.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 12:56:47 PM »
Run a ground and a new 12V wire.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 01:03:29 PM »
Does your choke just ground through the carb?If so, and if you have an ohmmeter, put one probe to where the choke grounds, and one to the negative battery, should have very little resistance, close to 0, if its higher, than a good ground wire like Gronk suggested could help.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline AMCKen

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 13
    • American Motors Club of Alberta
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »
I have found that with the choke housing set right the power connector is usually pointing up. If it's further 'forward' than this, your choke may to too 'tight'  and therefore taking too long to unwind. .
39Master85w.partscar,67Marlin343,68AMX343,70Machine,73Matador2drht401,
73-74-75-76GremlinXs,75PacerX,76Hornet2dsd,76-77Matadorcpes,
2-77AMXs304,78AMX304,78GremlinGT,78Concordsw,79Concordhb,79PacerDL304,
2-79AMXs304/401,2-80AMXs258/401,80SpiritDL304, 80Eagle4dsdn,3-81SX4s,
81SpiritGT,2-81Concord4dsd,82Eaglesw,2-85Eaglesw,2-80J20/360,85J10/258,2-88Eaglesw,
94Sentra2dsd   (42)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 11:21:13 PM »
Choke linkage gets gummed up from engine blowby and needs cleaning for optimal function.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 09:39:09 AM »
if what your saying is true, then mine is way off.  mine is off to the side about 7-8 o' clock.......

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 09:58:16 AM »
You need to set the choke on tension, not position.  There are many styles, brands and makes of electric choke caps.  Some even have the moded caretr choke which makes the line null.

When sold, the choke butterfly should have just enough tension on it to remain closed and not be "floppy"

You don't want it tight either. 

"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 11:21:43 AM »
yesterday I checked and cleaned the connectors to the oil switch, and loosend the 3 screws holding the choke together and turned it maybe a 16th of an inch and I heard a click.  I tightened it all back up and took it for a drive.  The pinging is really bad right now, it's embarrassing to drive around.  I have to buy a timing light, I loosened up the 1/2 bolt to the dist. and turned it 1/8 of an inch or so just to try something until I get a timing light.  I didn't realize I turned it the wrong way and advanced it, but no big deal I'll fix it later.  anyway I got into the eagle this morning and it started like it always does, but this time I could see the choke plate moving and after 2 min. I reved it and it went down, another min I reved it again and the plate was fully open.  It only took about 3  mins. to fully open as opposed to the 10 mins. these last 2 weeks, so it may be fixed now I'll have to check it again in the morning.   ..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk