News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 22, 2024, 07:20:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No power to the radio, tach screwy  (Read 6249 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
No power to the radio, tach screwy
« on: June 21, 2014, 11:36:02 AM »
I removed the dash of my car and repainted it. When I put it back in I never noticed that the 2 wires for the radio that control it to turn off/on with the key were touching bare metal (temporary cap I had on it fell off). Heard a snap and now no power is coming through the always live wire.

Also when I put the dash back in the tach doesn't seem to want to work. It'll work for 5 seconds then railroad itself to 0 and stay there.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: No power to the radio, tach screwy
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 06:33:45 PM »
Thinking on wiring the radio directly to the battery with an inline fuse.

As for the tach i still have no frigging idea.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 08:52:36 PM »
Factory or aftermarket tach?    Does the lighter work?  It shares its fuse with the radio?

Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:33:21 PM »
I wired the radio to have it's own feed from the battery. I have a nice fat wire with a fuse right in the middle. No idea if the lighter works since I have that part of the dash disassembled.

As for the tach, it's stock. It was working A-1 before I pulled the dash off, but it's not now. Going to have to check that Tach feed wire. I'm debating wiring it up to the ACC (power)and directly to the HEI distributor so it'll have power and a direct connection.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 08:03:54 AM »
Not sure if my radio is bad or something else. When I stall out our turn the car off the radio goes back to default.

It's a cheap eBay radio and I have another coming but if it's not. ..

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 09:31:59 AM »
The radio probably has a separate power wire for the memory presets stuff.  It needs to be live all the time.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:33:52 AM by Mernsy »

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 02:15:12 PM »
That's what I have hooked up, straight 12v supply as required. Seems random whwn it resets but it's at least 90% of the time after I stall stop or have to turn the ignition.

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 02:44:58 PM »
Where is it hooked in at? Might be a clue to the stalling.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 06:51:22 AM »
To the wire that turns the radio on when the car is turned on. Only write in the stock loom I'm not using is the power wire

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 07:34:34 AM »
The wire that powers the presets memory has to be live all the time. If it's switched you will lose your presets and memory every time you turn the key off.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 11:59:23 PM »
That's what had been leading me to thinking that the radio isn't working properly.

I do know that my HEI distributor (which has something wrong internally) was causing electrical issues.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 09:32:07 PM »
Loose wire in the radio connectors. Was *just* enough in so it couldn't be noticed, but would cause the radio to be a jerk. And the HEI has something wrong with it.

Le sigh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk