News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 09:47:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You bought what?? 88 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build  (Read 89338 times)

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
Re: You bought what?? 88 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
« Reply #210 on: October 02, 2017, 05:55:29 PM »
Hah, I don't hate it yet.  I knew it was going to be a project.  If it was my daily driver, I'd really be upset by now!  I can't say my wife thinks too fondly of the Eagle though...

For the engine support, there are a couple threaded studs coming up through the head, just outside the valve cover.  I assume these are holding the head onto the block.  I used a 7/16" coupling nut and then the threaded shaft up through the 2x4's.  Here is a closer pic, maybe that will help.

Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #211 on: October 02, 2017, 06:35:04 PM »
Thanks for the pic.  I'd seen that setup in the AMC TSM but never looked close enough to see how it mated with the engine.  If it was me crawling under the engine, I'd probably be a little more comfortable with some additional attachments securing the engine.  Not sure what that would look like exactly but I'm not sure I'd trust that I'd do it right the first (and possibly only) time lol. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #212 on: October 03, 2017, 09:52:24 AM »
Yeah, there is a strong "pucker factor" with the engine just hanging by the one rod.  I've started the engine a few times to make sure there are no leaks on the oil pan.  I figured out quickly that I don't need to rev up the engine - it jumps around too much.

I took a break from suspension work last night and put in an external trans cooler.  On my first trail trip, I was seeing some pretty high temps.  Rick helped me figure out that the trans was heating up and cooking the radiator, so the engine temp was going up.  There were a lot of long uphill sections, and that was really tough.  Of course, the 2.35 gears and big mud tires probably aren't helping.

Cooler, looking nice and shiny.

The cooler barely squeezed in, attached to the front of the AC condenser.

Plumbing is getting a little tight.  I've got the wiring for the winch going through this same area.

The new cooler is plumbed into the original lines at the radiator.  So the stock radiator cooler is still in the system, as a pre-cooler.  Then the external cooler is next, and finally back into the line to the trans.

Seems like there is a bunch of debate about the plumbing options.  Some folks like to bypass the stock radiator cooler, and some would put the external cooler first to avoid cooking the radiator.  I decided to put it into the stock radiator first then go to the external cooler, and the instructions with the kit recommended this too.  I will still get some feedback from the engine coolant temp gauge since the systems are still joined.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:08:36 PM by amarshall »

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #213 on: October 03, 2017, 05:04:02 PM »
Just me but if i put a  external cooler in for a slush box, it would first go through the radiator. Its more oem that aways. I mean it would cool maybe and than reheat the other way potentially.

Manitowoc WI

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #214 on: October 03, 2017, 05:09:35 PM »
Just me but if i put a  external cooler in for a slush box, it would first go through the radiator. Its more oem that aways. I mean it would cool maybe and than reheat the other way potentially.

That's how I did it, but I see that my post was confusing.  I edited for clarity.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #215 on: October 03, 2017, 05:15:28 PM »
Man that thing is really starting to come together. I have a similar transmission cooler on Eagle Eyes and it definitely made an improvement on keeping the transmission cool. The only thing is I didn't run any lines through the radiator because I don't want to go through the hassle of removing the lines the next time I have to replace my radiator. (I'm on radiator number six or seven right now because my local Autozone seems to have a nasty habit of dropping radiators).
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #216 on: October 13, 2017, 12:48:21 PM »
Not much progress, I've been on the road for work.  Still trying to get back on the road for a Nov 2 trip.  The motorcycle guys I am riding with must be nervous I won't make it.  They are both coming down to my place for the weekend and doing an "Eagle intervention".  They offered to work all weekend with me, so between the 3 of us we should get a lot done.  And beer.

I picked up some fittings to put a temperature gauge in the transmission cooler lines.  I'll put this stuff in the "hot" side so I can see the worst case.  The sender came with the gauge but I had to scrounge at Home Depot for the rest.

My engine isn't hanging by a 2x4 any more, and good news is that the oil pan still looks dry (fingers crossed).  New motor mounts are going in.

I got the cross member back in and the engine secure again.  Now I just need to put back the entire front suspension, no big deal.  This is still my vote for the best way to do the oil pan.

I took the driver's seat out, it needs some help.  A local upholstery shop gave me a quote for $325 with labor only, that's not going to work for my budget.  I'm going to try patching it up on the cheap.  And man it needs a good cleaning!

Speaking of cleaning, with the seat out I found 30 years of crud.  Oh, and another $67 cents in spare change - sweet!

Should be a very busy weekend.  I can't wait!

Offline maddog

• Thumbs Up 45
« Reply #217 on: October 13, 2017, 01:40:13 PM »
i have the same exact seats in my Eagle. One bit of advice I can give you is to put some tint on your windows because if your Eagle sits in the sun with direct sunlight hitting those buttons for too long you may end up with a brand on your leg because them things get scorching hot and I have been burned through my jeans before on a hot day.

Offline trooper5707

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #218 on: October 13, 2017, 09:36:16 PM »
Just an amazing thread! Certainly can't wait to see more! Great work.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #219 on: October 30, 2017, 06:08:39 PM »
Last couple weeks have been a whirlwind, with lots of work travel and many late shop nights when I am home.  My motorcycle buddies came down and we spent a weekend in the shop.  We got the front suspension back in, but very few pictures since we were just focused on the work.  I'm glad I had another set of hands, since the upper control arms were a 2 person job (at least).  At this point the entire front end has been done, including all control arm bushings, strut rod bushings, sway bar links, camber bolts, all 4 ball joints, brakes, and on and on.  I even upgraded the shocks (again) to KYB Gas-A-Just versions.

Since then I've been working on other odds and ends.  The next segment of the cross country trail is scheduled for Nov 9th, and I am meeting the guys in Mississippi where we left off last time.  There is a lot still to do, but nothing that will keep me off the trail.

Here are some pics.

I put the guys to work.  At the end of the day they both threw their clothes away.  Guess you can't get the Eagle out, no matter how much you wash.

New shocks.  The dirty one only has 2200 miles on it.

Eagle has been running rich.  My buddy Dan was in charge of electrical stuff and he installed an AFR gauge onto the stock O2 sensor, which is a narrow band type.  I took the carb apart to see what jets are in there.  Looks like they are both 48's.  I've ordered a bunch of new smaller jets and a few gaskets, hoping to lower the fuel delivery as I go across country.

This was the driver's seat, and I took it out to work on stabilizing the upholstery.

I took the headrests off both seats and I had my mom (thanks mom!) harvest the fabric from the headrests - to use for patches.  She was able to find some dark red vinyl and rebuilt the headrests from that.

I put in some new foam, and used the headrest material to make some patches on the seat.  Not 100% great but much better than they were.  Good enough to sit on without tearing up, anyway.  I also got some vinyl filler compound and patched up the tears in the vinyl.  Finally, hit the vinyl patches with some Duplicolor fabric  paint and some shoe polish to get a close color match.  Good enough. Last step will be cleaning the seats, possibly with a little rental carpet cleaner.  I think they will look lots better than before.

Some other stuff to do before the trip, but I'm moving pretty fast to get ready!

Offline maddog

• Thumbs Up 45
« Reply #220 on: October 31, 2017, 12:32:26 AM »
dude I am seriously impressed with how fast you are getting things done on your Eagle. If I ever get the chance to redo the seats in my Eagle I may just have to send you the fabric that's on them now because I have the same seats you do.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2017, 04:13:05 PM »
dude I am seriously impressed with how fast you are getting things done on your Eagle

Thanks!  It seems really slow to me, but I am fighting a deadline again.  I only get time after the kids go to sleep at night, and maybe a half day on the weekends so it's tough to keep it all moving.  Still having fun though!

Offline maddog

• Thumbs Up 45
« Reply #222 on: November 01, 2017, 09:22:47 PM »
Thanks!  It seems really slow to me, but I am fighting a deadline again.  I only get time after the kids go to sleep at night, and maybe a half day on the weekends so it's tough to keep it all moving.  Still having fun though!
hey at least you have a garage to work in. I'm stuck stuck working out in the elements which means I can  only work on my Eagle when it's fairly calm outside and not to wet either.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #223 on: November 06, 2017, 03:11:43 PM »
I'm supposed to hit the road again this Wednesday, and hook up with my buddies in Mississippi on Thursday.  The past couple weeks have been a blur, but I've been getting lots of little odds and ends completed.  Didn't stop to take very many pictures though.

It was finally time to put on my front flares.  Some trimming and stretching was required because of my big mud tires, but I think this will work.

Got all my emblems put back on for the first time since my paint job.  Should make it easier for strangers to figure out what it is.

And then things got really crazy.  I've always wanted to add some striping to the Eagle, in the style of some of the AMC/Jeep factory racers from the late 70's.  Think Gremlin X, AMC Rebel "The Machine", or Jeep CJ "SuperJeep".  I decided that it needed to be a red/white/blue theme.

Bear with me here, lots of pictures.  But I haven't been able to stop grinning, this turned out better than I had hoped!

I picked up some "Trail Rated" emblems from a modern Jeep, just to add some more "What the heck?"

Here are the final shots.  I would feel good about my chances for Eagle of the Month, especially compared to where I started!

Fingers crossed, I should be in Oklahoma by this time next week.   :hello2:

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2017, 03:40:58 PM »
Looks pretty awesome!  Great job, way to make it your own!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk