News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 10:51:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You bought what?? 88 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build  (Read 89350 times)

Offline djohnston89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Re: You bought what?? 88 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2017, 11:05:11 PM »
I love the white Cherokee wheels, reminds me of wagon wheels. Did you paint those yourself?

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2017, 12:01:03 AM »
Yep, a little scrubbing and sanding and 3 coats of Duplicolor wheel paint.  They came out pretty nice.  Cleanest thing on the whole car right now!
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2017, 12:21:59 PM »
Definitely liking the wheels! I'll have to keep that in mind.
'83 AMC Eagle wagon 258/auto.
'84 AMC Eagle sedan (4 door) 258/auto.
PREVIOUS AMCs:
'72 Gremlin X 304/3 speed
'81 Eagle Kammback 258/4 speed (Purchased new)
'82 Eagle wagon 258/5 speed (Ordered new, traded Kammback)
'86 (I THINK) Eagle wagon - BlackBird 258/auto. (Got hit/totaled)
'83 Eagle wagon - White Eagle 258-auto. (Front subframe was rotted out - sold for parts)

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2017, 01:31:07 PM »
Slow progress on the project, feels like I'm in that last 5% that takes 80% of the time.  Working on multiple fronts, and now trying to hit a mid-June launch date. 

I got the tires all mounted, and modified the fenders enough to clear the tires - I hope! We'll see if they rub, I guess.  I had some trouble finding a shop to do an alignment - most of them wouldn't touch it if it wasn't in their computer.  I called one last place, and the owner said he used to have an Eagle!  Hope it's in good hands, I just dropped it off at lunch today.

I worked up a design to mount a winch.  I think I can just squeeze it behind the factory bumper with some modifications.  I drew up some plans and sent them off to a fabrication shop, we'll see if it works!  I also mocked up a skid plate that's very close to the original AMC design.

I still need to finish prepping for paint, and take it to Maaco.  Hopefully next week!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:11:39 PM by amarshall »

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2017, 10:58:35 PM »
I would be interested in a skid plate if you mad an extra.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2017, 03:57:12 AM »
I have a spare stock skid plate. I know it would cost a bit to ship, but I'd let it go for sure.

The winch setup looks nice...someone has some computer skills! :)
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2017, 07:00:30 AM »
I have a spare stock skid plate. I know it would cost a bit to ship, but I'd let it go for sure.

Wow, really? That would be great! I'll PM you.

I would be interested in a skid plate if you mad an extra.

I will at least get the quote from the fab shop and share that info here. If my designs work for the winch setup or the skid plate, I'll be happy to share dimensions here. They are still unproven, but I feel pretty confident they will fit. There is a risk that I only measured MY car, but I don't see any evidence of front end damage so I think it should be standard.

The winch setup looks nice...someone has some computer skills! :)

Hah, it only took me 2 months to figure out how to post pictures! Not so sure about my skills some days!

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2017, 12:48:47 PM »
Well, bad news from the shop the other day about the alignment.  The pitman arm is worn out, and there is some play in the right front wheel bearing/hub assembly.  :banghead:  I found out the other day and have been pretty frustrated ever since.  I thought I was coming to the end of the mechanical stuff, seems like it will never end some days.

Since the parts are not too expensive, I have ordered everything to rebuild the steering: pitman arm, idler arm, tie rods ends and sleeves.  Also got the bearings and seals to rebuild both front hubs.  I'm thinking to just go ahead and do it all so I know it's good - not just replace one or two parts and wait for the next problem to pop up.

So far I've done everything myself but I'm thinking of just having the shop do the steering and hubs.  I'm tired and :censored: off, and there is plenty of other stuff for me to do still.  I really don't have the equipment to do the hubs anyway, that would take a hydraulic press.

Sorry for the bad attitude, I'm just scrambling to get it all done in the next month.  I have a road trip lined up for June 23rd with some buddies and can't miss that deadline.

Offline djohnston89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2017, 11:29:46 PM »
Deadlines suck, but they sure put the fire under your butt to get stuff done don't they?

So I'm curious, whatchya doin' for paint? Single stage? Base/Clear? Factory color, or something entirely different?

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2017, 12:27:36 PM »
Yeah, nothing fun about a deadline.  At least I'm not moving across country at the same time!

My wife and kids have been very supportive, so I'm out in the garage as much as possible.  I was going to do a cheap home paint job, but I think I need to let someone else help me.  I've got a couple leads on local shops, and of course there is always Maaco.  This is really going to be a trail runner, not a show car.  So I am planning for a single stage enamel, nothing fancy.

There was SOOooo much maroon/burgundy on this car inside and out, and I want to change the paint color.  I don't want to re-do the interior color, so I settled on white paint to go with the red interior.  I am also planning to add some AMC "flair" and have a little fun.  Here are some inspiration pics I found online, they hint at my crazy plan.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:13:10 PM by amarshall »

Offline djohnston89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2017, 12:57:24 PM »
Oooh I especially like those last two! Have you considered going the rustoleum route? That's how I did my van; I used the "high performance enamel" in safety blue, thinned with mineral spirits and shot from a harbor freight hvlp gun. I also added Valspar Enamel hardener. Still looks good three years later and I've washed it maybe once and never bothered to wax or polish it. The best part though is that you can get rattle cans in the same colors for touch up paint  at pretty much any hardware store for about five dollars, which would be perfect for a trail runner  ;)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2017, 01:16:49 PM »
I painted a Ford Festiva with tractor paint from Tractor Supply. It looked fantastic for one month and then faded quickly. I guess I should have tried Rustoleom.

Here's another one for inspiration. That is John Deere Blitz Black on the bottom side.

1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2017, 03:57:27 PM »
Have you considered going the rustoleum route?

Actually, I was planning to go with Rustoleum and have done way too much research.  I was planning to roll it, there are some who say that works and I don't have a great place to spray.  In the end, I did all the prep work myself and will have somebody else shoot it.  I've got it fully taken apart, sanded and spot primed where needed.  There really shouldn't be much work left, so I'm hoping it will be cheap and save me some time.

I want to copy the scheme on the last two also - red, white and blue.  Blue power bulge on the hood, red stripes high on the side, and blue down on the rockers.  I will have the shop do the white only, and then I plan to do the red and blue with Rustoleum spray cans.  I'm also planning to run black flares and rocker covers, that will just be black bumper paint I think.  I'll keep most of the trim natural, not go crazy with blacking it out.  I want it to look like a throwback to the late 70's, even though it's an 88.

Here's another one for inspiration. That is John Deere Blitz Black on the bottom side.

I'm not too sure about that Festiva, but I applaud the effort!  Your "big" wagon is another one on my list.  It looks great, especially after you did the sides in black. Really good graphics also with the "Eagle X".

On another note, i had some good news today about the AC.  I dropped it at a shop and they checked it out.  Looks like there is a wiring problem, so no power is getting to the compressor.  They were able to run power it directly manually and get cold air, probably for the first time in 15 years.  I suspected something wrong with the dash controls, as the vacuum is not being shunted to the heater bypass valve when in cold modes.  There's no vacuum leak in the engine bay, so something must be wrong under the hood.  But at least I won't need a compressor.  I guess it will need to get switched to R-134.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:14:29 PM by amarshall »

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2017, 07:44:17 PM »
I would do everything possible to keep R12 in it. R134a works mediocre in an Eagle and the A/C would be almost worthless in South Florida.

That Festiva is long gone but I have another one I just recently put another engine into. It's my daily driver since I have a 64 mile round trip commute to work. I bought it for the 40 mpg, but they are very fun cars to drive.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:45:27 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2017, 08:52:59 PM »
I would do everything possible to keep R12 in it. R134a works mediocre in an Eagle and the A/C would be almost worthless in South Florida.

Understood.  This time of year it's starting to get crazy hot.  The rest of the year is just regular hot, of course.  The AC in my Jeep can barely keep up.  If there is still R12 in the system I will try to keep it, but I don't know if its got a full charge yet.

Do you know what the limiting factor is on performance with R134?  I would suspect the condenser first, probably.  I think new ones are parallel flow so they don't get gummed up so easily.  Compressor and all that would be the same, I think.  My condenser is pretty sketchy, the top couple of rows of fins are loose.  I haven't found a replacement but maybe there's a universal unit out there that would work, and be better in case R134 is used?  Hmmm...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk