News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 25, 2024, 01:03:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: choke instructions  (Read 3100 times)

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
choke instructions
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:57:03 AM »
I have a 2150 with choke issues, I have checked the sending unit to the choke from the oil pressure sending unit and I get 12v.  I ran a ground wire to the choke housing and I tryed a new 12v wire to the choke and I still am having problems.  I think I played around with the choke pull off too much and messed things up. I turned the choke housing about an 1/8 and tryed it both ways to see if it was too tight or hanging up,  I have since moved it back to where it was originally.  It used to take 1 maybe 2 trys and it would start, now it takes up to 5 trys.  It starts and in 5 seconds it stalls.  I'm looking for some choke adjustment instructions while it's on the car.  I found some on line and tried some of the suggestions and it seems worse.  When you press the pedal the plate closes all the way and when it finally starts it looks about 1/8 open, but I still never see the choke plate move until I rev the motor.  When you put 12v to the choke I can watch the plate open, so I'm thinking the choke pull off is holding it back from opening while running?  this is driving me crazy.........

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
Re: choke instructions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 05:36:07 PM »
Sounds good to me Casper....

The choke should close when cold but not bite you if your finger's in there.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 06:02:15 PM »
I'm looking for more than that, like I have said, it does close all the way when you hit the pedal, but it keeps stalling out after 5 seconds.  I was looking for instructions on the choke pull off, thats the part I was messing with.  the plate has always closed tight when the pedal is hit when it's cold........

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
When vacuum is applied the choke pull-off should open the fully closed electric choke just wide enough to not quite fit a pencil in.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
it's about 1/8 of an inch

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 12:04:55 AM »
I might adjust the choke pull off so it's a little more open too.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk