News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 08:13:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear shock mount question  (Read 8178 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Rear shock mount question
« on: June 05, 2014, 06:39:39 PM »
I was thinking about the swap over to another axle to replace the stock AMC axle. Dana 35 comes to mind, common, lots of support and a decent upgrade.

Has anyone ever thought about swapping the shock mounts on the car itself instead of swapping them around on the axle? It seems that over time it'd be a more intelligent change to the car.

Can it be done successfully?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Rear shock mount question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »
You would have to re-engineer the car to use the different mounts. I bought a used pair of shocks with adapters for the top pin to eliminate it. For the Front of my Comanche though.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 06:56:27 PM »
So there's adapters you can buy to use the stock D35 without changing the mounts on the axle?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
Sure you could. My big Eagle has steel tubing welded in between the rear rails with the upper shock mounts welded to it. You just have to make sure the shocks don't bottom out before the axle hits the bump stop.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 01:01:41 AM »
It's easy to weld shock mounts on but I even saw U bolt style clamp on ones for those with torch fear like Priya's hubby. (just pulling your leg!)

I put an XJ axle in my Comanche and had to cut/move the pads (XJ ones line up for Eagles though) I added one shock mount (passenger's side rear) and just drilled and installed a lower mount pin on the driver's side. New Ubolts with FSJ spring plates and I was good to go.

If I lifted the rear very much I could have used CJ spring plates with built in shock mount between the axle and springs.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:11:17 AM »
I have to think forward. Dana 35 with the 3.54 here are a dollar a dozen. It is cheaper to swap the axle than the pinion bearing if it goes lol.

I'll have to take a look into having the mounts for the shocks on the car changed over eventually. I think that it'd be worth it in the long run.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »
4.0L 5 speed XJs are 3.08 usually

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 12:29:09 PM »
Those are pretty rare around here.

My front axle is geared 2.73, and I have a SX/4 front with the 3.54. I was looking at changing the rear to a newer D35 from an XJ with the 3.54 but I think one of the old Eagles I have access to has the 2.73 rear, same as mine. Just needs refreshing.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 04:16:07 PM »
You can put your gears into the D35 axle (they are the same diff except the axles)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 09:22:32 PM »
I'm not sure how to change gears. Wouldn't that entail shimming and measuring and resetting hte pinion and all that shenanigans?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 08:17:45 PM »
On that, You would check the pinion depth (there is a tool that measures from the edge where the cover bolts to the center of the pinion gear face) and set that the same in the new housing then with the current shims from (I can't recall old housing or new housing) with new bearings and set the backlash to near zero. As long as you keep the matched gears together with the original carrier you should be good.
   This is the simplified version. You can read more about it on http://ringpinion.com

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 07:02:18 AM »
Might just have to switch to 3.54 Dana 35 for the rear and use my sx4 front axle.

Since the front is a dana 30, can I refurb the front by shipping for Jeep seals?

And will any Dana 35 seals work on the stock amc axles?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 06:15:51 AM »
They list a different number for the Eagle and XJ D35 for the pinion seal, but the specs are the same. The XJ one is just more robust with double lip. There is a listing for the front D30 seals.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 02:00:15 PM »
So Dana 30 on the Eagle is the same as all other Dana 30 in respect to seals correct?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »
So Dana 30 on the Eagle is the same as all other Dana 30 in respect to seals correct?
Seals are probably not the same since it is IFS and all other Dana 30's are solid. It may share the some bearings.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk