News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 02:28:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hornet/ Concord/ Eagle liftgate hinges  (Read 528 times)

Offline rshellen

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
Hornet/ Concord/ Eagle liftgate hinges
« on: February 18, 2024, 01:04:42 PM »
Just picked up a 1975 Hornet Sportabout wagon and yesterday and unfortunately ended up with a broken driver's side hinge on the liftgate.
1. looking for replacement hinges, understand they a hard to come by
2. while searching I ran across am post of someone making replacements from a model, however I didn't see a final post how that worked out -anyone Know if that thread finished.

Thanks

Offline Trooper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: Hornet/ Concord/ Eagle liftgate hinges
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 02:52:04 PM »
I thought I had one but when I found it, it's for the right side. Must be someone here who has one for sale.

Offline rshellen

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 12:08:45 AM »
Actually when the drivers side broke it tweaked the right side, hope to get them off tomorrow and check out the right side, depending on what I find I may need the right side.
I'll let you know . OKay?

Offline Trooper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 07:53:17 AM »
Yep.

Offline rshellen

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 03:05:27 PM »
Still waiting till find a drivers side, however just lining up the broken side it seems that the right side is pulling the gap closed along the body line of the hatch. What would you want for the right side hinge you have.

Offline Trooper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 04:39:34 PM »
Just the shipping charges. Send me your zip code and I'll bundle it up and see what it costs.

Offline rshellen

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 05:36:35 PM »
E Ronald Shellenberger
3089 Springview Dr.
Chambersburg, Pa. 17202

Let me know

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 08:36:14 PM »
I posted this some years back - might be a good time for a repost.
------------------------------------------------------
I've found that one of the root issues on hatch breakage is the rubber gaskets shrinking with age.  Then the hinges start scooting around and "rocking" with use until they break (not to mention the hatch alignment getting way off - and sticking out at the bottom about an inch!).  With dry shrunken gaskets, the hinges won't stay in place no matter how tight the bolts.

On my waggie (and a neighbors waggie) I've cut another "shim" gasket from thin rubber sheet to go under the original gasket and "tighten up" the hinge to the body.  Now I have one of the few waggies with a properly-positioned tailgate hatch!   I see repop gaskets on Ebay, but have not tried them (they look like just cut rubber sheet without the original AMC molded raised edges).  If they are the correct thickness and durometer spec; they could work.

George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Trooper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 09:39:33 AM »

Online rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 09:56:07 AM »
There was someone working on some CNC machined hinges but haven't heard anything lately. https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=5341124069255638&set=pcb.2139074879584190&__cft__[0]=AZVTJYdbdv1cNfpqubhy6xQPPUN7_KtDbrIhmcI9r1QKIu_rl0hNm1huJ8nQpMJZ4Q64WCB87dms4nH_kb9EwHKp-qSda_umb6izwO7knBga7-qNKkh-r8-qL5erJjA_LAOk35sWJM1B2T6Q3kQMpimDqBQnfInT9yHH0DSxYRIBjcSefoN1QuRubHgPcDbkgk0&__tn__=*bH-R
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk