News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 01:33:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: help! Transmission rebuild or remanufactured?  (Read 16980 times)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: help! Transmission rebuild or remanufactured?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »
Thanks!!! I will and ill keep this post updated and how i make out. I don't know what i would do without this website. After my cars running I'm gonna be sure and donate!!!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 03:09:52 PM »
This maybe a very dumb question, but since i was not planning on taking out the tranny, is there a way i can lift the back end of this car up without having it roll off the stands and kill me?  :banghead:

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 04:18:33 PM »
Wow that looks so....Plain. o.O

I use jackstands at the moment. Right under the axle.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

rohnk

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »
I'm in the same situation right now. I've been thinking about just placing the front on jack stands and then lifting the rear and putting it on jack stands. All four corners up so I can remove the wheels and work on the brakes and suspension.

It also wouldn't hurt to place a 6x6 or larger parrellel to the frame rails in case it decides to go. Then I'd only be partially squished!  ;)

Whatever you decide, please work safely and don't get the car rocking when you are trying to loosen a stubborn bolt.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 05:30:51 PM »
You could have some one sit inside and hold the brake while you jack up the rear. However, there is always the smallest chance of it rolling off of the ramps when the rear is on stands.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 07:32:10 PM »
Wow that looks so....Plain. o.O

I use jackstands at the moment. Right under the axle.

What is plain????

Ill try to get that car up in the back. if i do not reply you'll know the eagle has landed.... right on me that is

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »
What is plain????
I'm just not used to seeing an Eagle without woodgrain or a bunch of side chrome. It looks naked.
Ill try to get that car up in the back. if i do not reply you'll know the eagle has landed.... right on me that is
I try to find a nice little spot under the axles as close to the wheels as possible so I know the car won't shake or tip. It sits quite high.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »
What is plain????
I'm just not used to seeing an Eagle without woodgrain or a bunch of side chrome. It looks naked.
I try to find a nice little spot under the axles as close to the wheels as possible so I know the car won't shake or tip. It sits quite high.

I know it looks plain haha. and should i lift up one tire at a time or the whole back?

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 08:56:08 PM »
i've done this about four times myself and i always used jackstands. i should add that the way i did it was a good way to get hurt as i removed and installed them by myself and though it is possible to do it by yourself you should have some one help you as those transmission and transfercases are heavy. as for lifting the rear do both at the same time just put a good rolling floor jack under the pumpkin and start jacking it up.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 10:55:45 AM »
Jack stands or good blocking under the frame. I've often used the frame extensions in front of the axle, even though they're higher then the rest of the subframe, so that I have lots of room to maneuver under the center of the car.

I've found cinder blocks and 4x6 blocks of wood are nice and sturdy for such things, and I trust it more then some of the spindly cheap jack stands I've seen in discount places.

You want to support the frame because as soon as the transmission drops out that's a couple of hundred pounds off the suspension. You'll also need a jack to help you lower the transmission. I've slid transmissions out from under cars on a piece of plywood after dropping them, they won't slide on the concrete too well.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 04:52:43 PM »
There should be a hole at the front of the ramp right where the wheel stops. I added chains and a wheel chock to keep the tire from rolling.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 05:29:10 PM »
Sorry, but I have to agree with Casper, NO cinder blocks. Also some import jack stands are inferior and have been known to fail.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »
I agree with all said about cinder blocks and here is why! Several years ago I had my Javelin sitting on cinder blocks while I was installing a set of hooker headers.I crawled out from under it to get a wrench that I needed and no sooner got out from under the car and down it came. Looked up and thanked the man above several times.Then went in changed my shorts and went to the auto parts store and bought a set or heavy duty jack stands.To this day when I see a car on cinder blocks I get chills and remember that day.One I will never forget!! I lost a close friend who had a car drop on him using cinder blocks.So anyway forget using them and invest in a good heavy duty set of jack stands. May be the best money you ever spent!!! ps By the way loved my hooker headers.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 06:40:02 PM »
The car ramps are so old that the part where the wheel sits in is kind of bent so I think it could roll easy backwards, forward it can't but backwards it can. Im gonna bolt a block of wood behind the wheels on the ramps so it will not be able to roll backwards, and go get a heavy duty set of jack stands for the rear, i don't trust my 10 dollar walmart ones for this.

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 04:23:40 PM »
I found a used tranny for 200 bucks, any year tranny works right?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk