News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 08:28:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Diesel/Gas Electric Eagle - would it fly?  (Read 27657 times)

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Diesel/Gas Electric Eagle - would it fly?
« on: October 02, 2006, 09:34:59 PM »
With these hybrid gas/electric (they keep the good diesel/electric ones in Europe) we're seeing some pretty powerful electric motors. I understand that some of these electric motors drive the wheels without a transmission between them and the wheel, geared such that their 0 rpm to their top rpm corresponds to the vehicle 0 mph to its top speed.

What if we could convert an Eagle to have a direct drive electric motor at each wheel.

We could elliminate:
  • front diff and axles
  • drive shafts
  • transfer case
  • transmission
And the rear axle could be changed to something independent on each side?

The engine would stay to drive a generator to provide the wheel drive current. Except for very low speed, the gas engine would always be running when the vehicle is in motion.

And we'd add:
  • generator
  • an extra battery or two, to accumulate charge for peak loads (or to 'get-away' from a stop light while the engine turns back on)
  • four high current controllers driven by "gas pedal" input

The engine would be driven based on current requirements, so the generator is geared or belt connected to have the engine running at it's most efficient. There should also be a net drop in total vehicle weight?

And the gas engine could be replaced by a diesel? Say a lister?

Would it fly?

I bet I could go from my place to the store and back on two standard batteries, maybe one.

Any views on why it would or wouldn't?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 09:42:43 PM by Canoe »

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
Re: Diesel/Gas Electric Eagle - would it fly?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 10:30:35 PM »
Isnt diesel more expensive then gasoline
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline mccastlej

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 10:46:47 PM »
At the moment diesel is more expensive than gasoline, but not all the time.  There are many benifits to having a diesel motor.  The fuel consumption is much less, and for the norm the diesel engines will run much longer than a gas engine before they need a rebuild.  Usually at least twice as long depending on the manufacturer. 

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 08:44:33 AM »
Ahhhhh -- the diesel electric locomotive reinvented.  I don't know if there would be any weight savings.  Diesel would probably be best but a small maybe 3 or 4 cylinder one would help with weight.  Modern locomotives have switched to Alternators vs. the older Generators.  I forget if the traction motors are AC or DC.  I guess one of the issues with hybrids is the potential for high voltage shock in an accident. 
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 08:30:27 PM »
Anything would work if you have enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 11:40:52 PM »
some points/assumptions

The diesel is more efficient than the gas engine, even though they weight a little more, although not that much with the modern diesels. They can also run on biodiesel without modification, and with heated fuel pickups and heated fuel lines and a boost in temperature just prior to the injector pump (heat source can be electric or engine coolant), they can run on vegetable oil (non-hydrgenated canola or soy being best).

(I keep forgetting that the hybrid electric motors use a wide and high range of voltages.)

Using a generator with rare earth magnets, one could have the engine drive the shaft with the magnets on it, to have a brushless generator - lots of juice for the weight and less upkeep.

A generator is heavier than an alternator (magnets vs. windings) but the d.c. doesn't have to be converted from a.c. to d.c..

Depending on the load requirements, one might be able to take a page from the off-the-grid hydro projects and modify large alternators from self exciting to rare earth magnet. On the other side a self exciting alternator can be modified to have a simple control circuit for the exciting load, such that one can vary the alternator load to match the gas motor to keep it operating at its most efficient.

I guess I need to find out more about these new electric motors, as in weight, voltage, current, torque, rpm, etc..

I am much intrigued.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 10:32:14 PM »
Well, for instance, the Jetta goes from ~27 to ~50 when moving from a 1.8 turbo gasoline to a 1.9 turbo diesel. They're similar in performance, and the diesel is heavier.

With modern alternators/motors like they use in the new hybrids, it may work. I'd imagine either a motor for each axle, or one replacing the transmission on the t-case, but it depends on sizes available.

It would be great for trail crawling, at least. Probably cheaper then investing in a new transmission, gears, t-case and aux. transmission like some guys have.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Ayem Sea

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fire on the Mountain
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 11:44:08 AM »
AHH he mentioned volkswagens! I thought this was an all american motors safe haven. Well, I'm asking for it, going on the hybrid subject...

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 11:49:24 AM »
AMC did use VW engines for short time.  So I guess we can give him a pass.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 12:43:37 PM »
Another thought is that a Diesel engine has more torque than a gas engine, so it can be geared to run slower, therefore using much less fuel. I have seen small Diesel generators that put out a lot of power, and are also very quiet. I have been doing a lot of research on Diesel engines, Biodiesel, and SVO or WVO as fuel. I am convinced that that is the only way to go. I am turning into a "Diesel Guy" in a hurry! I am looking to sell all of my gas vehicles, and go Diesel powered. Don't worry about me leaving the Eagle Nest, as I have the '80 Turbo Diesel Eagle!
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 01:23:41 PM »
No worry hear.  I wonder if AMC was thinking about Diesels.  They probably saw what happened to GM and shied away.  Perhaps your car was one they were going to watch and see if they would make more???  A Diesel electric, to me, makes more sense since they are ideal for that application.  You don't see many (any more) gas-electric locomotives.  Gas-electric railroad equipment was primarily used in single unit commuter applications and in some very early freight locomotives -- they just did not have the reliability or longevity of the diesel units.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Ayem Sea

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fire on the Mountain
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 08:26:18 PM »
AMC did use VW engines for short time.  So I guess we can give him a pass.

I had a feeling someone'd say that; it could happen on a mopar forum too, if the subject were plymouth horizons and dodge omnis....

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 10:02:30 PM »
I think that is the way that Daimler Chrysler could bring back the Eagle...  Market it as a hybrid sport utility vehicle.  They don't really have such a thing do they?  I know they are looking into flex fuel vehicles and turbo diesels.  But they do not have a directly hybrid vehicle on the market do they?  Other than the Dodge Sprinter??
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline lmhsx/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 09:47:44 PM »

As I own 23 diesel fuel injectors. would like to find a diesel to fit the SX/4. Hard to find a good fit. What about the diesel engine in Isuzu NPR & Nissan delivery trucks?

I have noticed when setting the cruise control on the "TDI" when driving hills on highway will actually pull away from gas powered. As for millage, a few weeks ago drove from east Iowa to Ann Arbor, MI and back. 21 gallons of fuel. About 47 MPG. Have done better. Could not hold a constant speed, to much stop & go.

1981 Eagle SX/4 I6 Manual (Project 2)
1983 Eagle SX/4 I6 Automatic (Project 1)
2002 VW Jetta TDI (Diesel)
2005 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.0 Diesel
1998 John Deere 455 (Diesel)

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »
Try this link.  Have a look.  Just drop an eagle body on it.  Probably cheaper than all the mods required to make a stock Eagle a hybrid.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/02/trexa-electric-car-platform-will-cost-upwards-of-us15999/

Cheers
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk