News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 14, 2024, 04:05:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Full frame and straight axle  (Read 56909 times)

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
Re: Full frame and straight axle
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2012, 05:36:04 AM »
I have a full Jeepster Commando boxed frame w/ tranny, Xfer case, axles, etc just waiting for a wagon body.  Set and ready for a 304.  I don't think a solid frame swap could get any easier than this.  The wheel base and width is  perfect.  I believe the Jeepster wheel base is 1.5" longer than the wagon's so with a very mild spring lift it will be bang on.

Shanebo, this is what I currently have planned for the blue wagon I picked up from you.  Unless someone wants the frame, I'll use it when the time comes.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Prafeston

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2012, 08:56:34 AM »
Well, get to work on it Rafe! You don't have to do it all at once and make it real pretty, just safe and stable to use off road. Then you would have a real toy!

I don't have the time, expertise, tools, or money for a project like that! :(

Offline Animal

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »

I don't have the time, expertise, tools, or money for a project like that! :(
[/quote]

It has been a long time but I finally got my Eagle on the road. I actually got it licensed and registered this last Friday. I am very happy and can’t wait to take it on a road trip. I got to test it off road a little and it climbs really well and handles the big bumps at high speed. However, it is still a little sloppy on the highway. I need to spend some time dialing in the four-link to square the axles under the car. It’s not terrible though and just needs some small tweaking. I will keep dialing it in and post some off road pictures when I get a chance. Thanks to everyone for the support and inspiration.

Brandon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2013, 10:10:27 PM »
Glad to see you're still around and got it on the road. Can't wait to see some pics of it in action.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2013, 11:59:13 PM »
Now that's cool!  I like the dash and engine compartment- ALL that is needed and nothing else.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2014, 05:45:20 AM »

HI  Brandon  I am glad to see you have it on the road .. looking forward to pict off road .....don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline Animal

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2014, 12:49:31 PM »
This thing is very fun to drive. I have been driving more than I have been taking pictures, so I only have a few pics to share. I will post some more when I get them.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:53:20 PM by Animal »

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2014, 04:54:41 PM »
Nice!!!!!

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2014, 08:37:04 PM »
Yep. Nice!!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2014, 02:10:01 PM »
So the frame from an Eagle can be removed? How do you manage that? (I'm still relatively new to the scene, and as I understand it unibody frames are integrated into the car).

You just cut the frame pieces out ?

Offline Animal

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2014, 02:29:55 PM »
So the frame from an Eagle can be removed? How do you manage that? (I'm still relatively new to the scene, and as I understand it unibody frames are integrated into the car).

I cut the original unibody frame out and built a full frame that follows the contour of the body just the same as the old frame. I fully welded this frame to the body and it is not removable. This is the only way to get the ground clearance and suspension travel and keep the overall height down for a low center of gravity.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2014, 09:12:50 PM »

Animal & I did similar frames, but not exactly.
On my SX4 (avatar photo), I made a separate frame that bolted to the unibody. I recently removed the body and scrapped it, but saved the frame for another project.  I also have a fixture for making a front sub-frame for an Eagle.  The sub-frame bolts on the unibody as well, and gets the front suspension welded to it.  It is free for the taking in So. Cal if anyone wants to come and get it.....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2014, 09:58:02 PM »
Brandon, I might have you mixed up with someone else, but didn't you try with the IFS first with a V6 and made mounts for the front axle that attached to the crossmember? If so, do you have pics of that still?

Offline Animal

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »
I
Brandon, I might have you mixed up with someone else, but didn't you try with the IFS first with a V6 and made mounts for the front axle that attached to the crossmember? If so, do you have pics of that still?

You were right. I was the one who made the mounts for the front axle.  I posted one of the only pictures I have of the mounts I made. I will say that it worked very well and the only reason I got rid of it is to go with the straight front axle. Sorry I did not have any more detailed pictures or drawings.

Thanks,
Brandon

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:42:06 PM by Animal »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk