The Mighty 258 > The Engine

Engine Removal Problem

(1/3) > >>

BigBird:
This is on my '82 SX/4 with the 258 I6 and the T-4 Manual trans.

I'm having some problems getting the engine to separate from my trans. Bell housing bolts have all been removed, Clutch slave is removed, Starter is removed, Bracket to front diff is removed, Engine mounts are loose, The  :censored: engine still will not come loose from the trans. This is the first time I have pulled an engine from a manual tranny. Am I missing something? Feel free to state the obvious.

mudkicker715:
Engine mounts are loose? So still on?

eaglefreek:
The few times I've tried to remove an engine and leave the transmission in place, it was a struggle. It's even worse when you try to line them back up when reinstalling the engine. If I ever have to remove an engine, the transmission either comes out with the engine or removed first before removing the engine.

BigBird:

--- Quote from: mudkicker715 on October 16, 2018, 10:45:38 AM ---Engine mounts are loose? So still on?

--- End quote ---

I left the driver side mount attached to the frame so it is holding up the front diff. The bracket from the engine to the diff is removed. The passenger side mount is disconnected completely. I can lift the engine up and down just fine but I cannot get it to sepperate from the trans.

mudkicker715:
I support the diff with a strap  on both sides to shock mounts. Or i just pull the diff. Seeing as you got one motor mount in place, well that might be your problem. As said though i always pull  the motor with the tranny.. its possible with a tilt thing on the lift. The harmonick balancer needs to come off however imo. You need that extra wiggle room.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version