News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:32:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: tail light  (Read 5199 times)

Offline eagleone

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 73
tail light
« on: September 12, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »
Anybody know how the tail light lens on a 1979 Concord sedan was attached to the housing? Is it held on by screws from the outside, or do you have to open it from inside the back of the car to change the bulbs?
The reason I am asking is that someone in town had the rear passenger tasil light (lens only) supposedly stolen from his car and he can't figure out how they could get just the red lens. Any help would be appreciated, maybe a parts diagram so I can help the police figure out how it happened.
Thanks
1981 SX/4 (Baby Bugly))
1986 Eagle Wagon (Bugly)
"The system you are using is perfect for the results you are getting."

Offline autumnglen

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: tail light
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:42:44 PM »
I think the lenses are glued in, they are a real tight press in.  Rita

Offline eagleone

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 73
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »
Thanks
1981 SX/4 (Baby Bugly))
1986 Eagle Wagon (Bugly)
"The system you are using is perfect for the results you are getting."

Prafeston

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 09:55:01 PM »
My guess is you've got to open to get to the bulbs from inside the trunk.

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 12:09:01 PM »
Just found this thread after replying to your wanted ad.  My reply from over there:
-----
I should still have one.

Just the lens, or the whole assembly?  I'm guessing just the lens, as one would need access to the trunk to take the whole thing.

And it's quite possible that it simply fell off rather than being stolen.  The 78-79 Concord taillights had an inherent design flaw in that the lenses were held in place only by the adhesive properties of the seal.  They were not mechanically fastened in any way.  So when the seal finally gets old and dry enough, there goes the lens.

I would suggest that the owner check his driver side lens to see if it's close to letting go.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline eagleone

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 73