News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 06:43:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: temp gauge doesn't register, no heat  (Read 13807 times)

AMC lifer

Re: temp gauge doesn't register, no heat
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 04:53:42 PM »
I looked this afternoon & saw what looked like a trail of coolant coming from th top of the newly installed lower radiator hose (including new clamps) When I started the car & then shut it off, I definily saw coolant dripping. It was coming from the above mentioned area.  That may be some good news as it may not mean the pump is leaking, les$$. Now, it still will go into the shop to check out the rest of the issues.

AMC lifer

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 08:25:42 PM »
The car went to the shop after work today. The mechanic had time to do a quick once over on any leak issues. He says that the radiator has a leak in it.  To take it to a radiator shop  (40 miles one way) to have leaks brazed he esteimates could be $200. A new radiator at o'reilly is $239. It is a two row with tranny cooler for an AC equipped Bird. My question is: How good is a Murray radiator considering that it is at least $75 less than any competitor?

He will look at the heater core tomorrow.

At this time, I'm not too concered with the radiator temp unit as the car has never had an issue with overheating.

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 08:44:26 PM »
Here's another option - I bought a radiator from these folks for the 88.  It was delivered in about 2 days during the busy Christmas shipping season.  I've been very well pleased with it so far.  It costs a little more but the price includes shipping.
http://www.radiatorworld.com/
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 09:05:22 PM »
Just tossing this out there. 11 years ago autozone sold one for just under $200 and lifetime warranty.

Manitowoc WI

AMC lifer

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 06:44:12 PM »
Just got the car back & was suprised at the bill  :o.  The radiator was replaced at a separate parts cost of $239 from Oreily's. The heater core was flushed, & an oil change & lube was also done.  Total cost of labor & everything except for the radiator was $165  :blob1:   I am very happy with the results.

As for Oreily's, the cost included freee delivery to whereever I wanted it.  I had it sent straight to the shop.  I would highly recommed them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk