News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:58:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Overheating at redlights  (Read 4942 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Overheating at redlights
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:37:34 PM »
I have an '84 Eagle Wagon, the engine and everything that bolts to it was replaced within the last 60k miles. She normally runs cool unless you're stopped at a red light or parked with the engine running. AC on or off does not make a difference. The stock gauge will go up to the white notch at the top end of the green and stay there until the car starts moving again. The outside air temp was about in the mid 80's when this was happening. What can I do to improve the performance of the cooling system? I'm pretty sure the radiator isn't factory but it does look older and does not leak.

Thanks for the help!
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
Re: Overheating at redlights
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 09:50:44 PM »
you could ither install and mechanical guage in the car or take one of those digital point and shoot thermometers and check the accual temp of the engine.  the stock gauge isn't all that accurate in my opinion
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:58:48 PM »
is your fan working? It sounds like a stupid question, but my room mate was complaining of the exact same thing, and I noticed that his fan was seized. Once he started moving, it shot down again.

Because it's overheating only while stopped, it suggests that the rad is flowing, but the fan isint pulling air.

I agree with thereverendbill, are you sure it's actually overheating? It could just be a faulty gauge.

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 04:59:38 AM »
I would say that your fan is not running.
I have electric fans and the only time they switch on, is when I'm standing still.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 09:35:42 AM »
Yup, that all sounds right to me, there's no need for me to even comment on this.   :laughing9:

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »
My guess, like others, it's the fan clutch. I was having the same problem a year ago. I did the spin test and it seemed fine. After a flush and new thermostat it still ran hot at a stop. Installed new fan clutch and it worked great after that.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 02:27:31 PM »
Here's my $0.02.  Check the fan clutch first.  You should be able to tell if its good or not, if not go ahead and replace.  No sense adding a mechanical gauge if you can tell your fan clutch is shot.  Good luck.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 03:51:02 PM »
Check the clutch and shroud, they affect the idle cooling a lot. I'm not sure if you mean your radiator is new, but if it is not make sure there are no cool spots. warm the car up just until the thermostat opens, then turn the car off and feel if there are cool spots on the radiator.

You may also have gotten a poorly spaced or weak pump. They should have 7 or 9 fins, the 5 fin is right out. There is also a clearance between the fins and the pump body, and that gap can be too large in poor quality aftermarket or rebuild. Just a little in that gap can make a big difference in performance.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 11:28:33 AM »
I'll take a look at all of that. Did the spin test on the fan clutch and it seems to be working properly, might just replace that anyway and see if it helps. Even if it doesn't there's one less thing to break later. Fan shroud is in place and intact.
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 03:29:53 PM »
You said everything was replaced, Did you get the right water pump??  Just a thought!!

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 04:08:22 AM »
I have to ask, I am not sure if anyone else has, but the fan shroud is still there right?

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 10:28:59 AM »
If the waterpump is the wrong direction it will cool when revved but not at idle.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk