News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 03:18:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radiator Questions.  (Read 6716 times)

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
Radiator Questions.
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:48:57 AM »
"When I get to the bottom
I go back to the top of the slide,
where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride,
then I get to the bottom and I see you again
"...

No, I haven't gone nuts (yet), but I'm on the way.

So what's happening now ?

After the last repairs, the cooling system is working like a dream and probably I'm getting lots of "good" pressure in the circuit: new pump, a working t-stat, new hoses, no leaks, almost clean jackets, it all says "pressure".

So the rad decided to show up. There are some pinholes on the top cover and some other places around from where small amounts of fluid are leaking. Not much, by now, but enough to be noticed and to lower the level in the bottle (I had to add half a quart in two days).

I know it's bound to get worse, so here are my questions:

1) is there any quick and dirty fix I can use to stop those leaks at least for a couple of months (hot summer ahead), the time I need to spare some money for a new rad ?

2) What's your advice about having the rad rebuilt instead of replacing it ? Anybody did this before ? Results ?

3) Browsing my only new parts source (RockAuto.com, those guys are starting to love me), i found three results:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1003228,parttype,2172

The first one is "only 1 piece remaining", so I think it won't be there anymore in a couple of weeks, the second one is w/o AC so it's a no go.
It seems I should buy the last one. Looking at it, it seems like the one I have installed now. The only thing I can't see from the pic are the two "nipples" on the base. Mine has two lines (I think they come from and go to the transmission, I might be wrong) on the bottom, with steel pipes attached.

The question is: are they all the same ? do they all have those nipples ?
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Radiator Questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:07:41 PM »
IIRC, don't ever use 'Stop leak' for the rad, it gums up everything.

The old guys used to tell me use household Pepper (yup, salt and pepper) to stop pinhole leaks.  it doesn't gum up the system, and it actually will plug (or slow small pinhole leaks) and it flushes out easy when you get a better rad.

Now, I've never used it, but that what the older Mechanics used to tell me to use.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:35:31 PM »
If it's a versitile radiator, it would come with plugs where the nipples go.I think you have to put your own fittings in.The plugs would be for a standard transmission car bieng the bottom part will not be used for trans fluid in that application. You should be able to swap over your fittings easily.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 03:50:29 PM »
None are labeled for a Manual Transmission, so I would expect them all to have transmission coolers. They are small SAE compression fittings in the radiator, and usually come with plugs installed so they can be used in manual transmission or automatic transmission cars.

The non-A/C radiator will have fewer cores then the AC or Heavy Duty radiator, so there will be less surface area to cool the car.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:52:14 PM »
Yeah, you will want an A/C radiator as at a minimum they are two row radiators.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:10:43 PM »
I was thinking those lines are flared at the end, and not the compression type with the ferrul.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 09:05:32 PM »
I hope you don't have to replace your radiator, but in case,here is something I posted in January.  I don't know about shipping across that big pond.

"I just bought a radiator from radiatorworld.com.
It's a 3 core for hd cooling (I hope that means heavy duty).
It cost $275 total, including shipping.  It arrived in about 4 days during the Christmas holidays.
I thought that was pretty good.
It was made in Mexico. Oh, well, you can't have everything."

I have been very well pleased with it.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eagle503

• "I'm not a mechanic I'm a parts replacer give me the book I can do it"
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »
I had to put a new radiator in when I got my wagon a wile back I paid $200 for a new one It has the A/T cooling line hookups.The A/C has its own "Radiator" condenser in front of the radiator .If I remember rite when I ordered this one there was a couple choices~a cheaper one with no A/T lines - the one I ordered, radiator only with A/T line hookups - and a more expensive one that was a combined unit radiator and ac condenser. the A/C condenser and radiator are separate on my 85 wagon but just looking at them in the car they look like a single unit.
Click for YOUR_TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 03:00:58 PM »
There are two things you can do, one of them a bit cheaper but the other a good long term fix for the cooling system as a whole. First, you could use ginger root... Yes, ginger root. It's the main ingredient in stop leak without all the extra crap and it will work. The second option is to flush your system and use Toyota red coolant. When it finds a leak and is exposed to air while hot, it will crust over and seal the leak. until recently my thermostat housing had, at the last time I had replace the thermostat before most recent, been leaking for a bit but after some time it stopped completely because the coolant had crusted up on the outside around the leak. It will not do this inside the cooling system, only places where it gets exposed to air. It's also better coolant than the green stuff as a whole, it lasts much longer. Problem is you have to go to a Toyota dealership and pay 18 bucks for a gallon bottle, then dilute it yourself.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 02:25:38 PM »
IIRC, don't ever use 'Stop leak' for the rad, it gums up everything.

The old guys used to tell me use household Pepper (yup, salt and pepper) to stop pinhole leaks.  it doesn't gum up the system, and it actually will plug (or slow small pinhole leaks) and it flushes out easy when you get a better rad.

Now, I've never used it, but that what the older Mechanics used to tell me to use.
a raw egg will stop a pretty good sized leak like a fan comming in contact with a radiator
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 10:37:34 AM »
Thank you all for your answers !

I like the "Eggs & Pepper" solutions, they sound "yummy" ;D

The leak seems to be under control, now, it's not as bad as it seemed before. I'm keeping an eye on it anyway.
Also, the apparent "loss" of fluid in the bottle is not totally due to the leak itself. The circuit was probably still purging itself. The level is now ok, with no need for new fluid.

Glad I have some more time to spare money for the new rad... which I definitely need to buy, anyway !
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 12:45:06 AM »
A Jeep CJ7 radiator is the same thing. I buy the aluminum ones off the evil bay. There's alot more choices for heavy duty ones and even ones that come with the fans already installed. They're generally much nicer and much cheaper.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk