News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 09:20:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OK, now WHAT ?  (Read 14927 times)

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
OK, now WHAT ?
« on: April 23, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »
It seems the "fix one thing - another one to fix shows up" thing is happening here.
Today, while I was checking oil level, belts, and ordinary stuff I found out the fan pulley is somehow "loose".

Yes, that's it. It moves if I move the fan. It was OK some months ago, when I replaced all the belts. I'm sure about it.

Now it moves together with the fan, it reminds me of a tooth that's going to fall. (It's gross, I know, but it's the closest example).

Everything is working good on the cooling side, I noticed just because I turned the fan by hand while checking stuff.

How deep am I into trouble ? Anybody been already there ?
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Re: OK, now WHAT ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 03:12:17 PM »
Not sure what you mean.
You can rotate it when it is cool: it has a thermal coupling.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »
It could be the thermal fan itself. If it moves a little, it's time to replace. They should be tight. If it moves you are OK. Do you notice a high rev noise (fan kicking in) at cold temps?  I got mine off evilbae for $25.00.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 03:21:37 PM »
Sounds like your water pump bearings are going. If the fan moved without the pulley, I'd suspect the clutch. Anyway, this is something I've done in a driveway many times.

You just need a handful of sockets and wrenches. The hardest part is making sure you get a good pump, I've gotten a couple lately that had core shift so bad I couldn't trust them. Ours should be Aluminum, so avoid any cast steel pumps and you probably won't run into the problem.

The better AMC pumps have 7 or 9 fins, the basic ones are five fins on the back. More fins is more coolant volume. There are high-end aftermarket pumps with a disc tacked on the back of the fins. These flow even more water and can help if you have had any cooling problems, but generally cost twice as much.

When you pull everything out, take the shroud loose first and then a towel over the back of the radiator helps protect it and your knuckles. Then check you fan clutch. If it is smooth and tight, clean it of well and reuse it. If there is any wobble or unevenness when you spin it, it could contribute to wearing out of your pump bearings, so replace it too.

It'll take you a couple of hours if it's your first time as a lot of brackets attach accessories to the pump, just go slowly and keep the bolts straight. Also, make sure you don't over torque the aluminum parts. I have a small 3/8 Craftsman socket wrench that is the biggest thing I'll use working on aluminum parts after cracking a couple.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 03:41:55 PM »
OK. Sorry I didn't explain better. By "moving" I don't mean "rotating" around its axle (that would be alright).
I think BenM got the point. It seems a bearing issue. Lately bearings don't love me, that's for sure  >:(

Well, new water pump needed, it seems. Suggestions ? Advices ? My only source for "new" parts is RockAuto, shall I go with them ?

But (this is the part that really worries me) do you think I can drive the car anyway ? How long before doing major damage ?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 08:11:30 PM »
I would agree with Ben.  The water pump would be my first suspect.  And, don't get a rebuilt one, new ones are not that much more money.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:20:25 PM »
It'll go until you start seeing coolant weeping out, but keep an eye on it. I wouldn't be planning any long trips.

It might inconvenience part stores, but find one that will let you look at stock. They interchange with nearly every late 258, and I believe V-belt 4.0 engines too. They usually have 4+ in their computer, so if you don't think one is a good one, have them pull another.

I don't know what good ones RockAuto has, but places like 4WD and Quadratec have them too. Call some place up and talk to them, see if they can recommend one or what their return policy is.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 08:26:43 PM »
LaGuardia is in Italy, so availability may be limited.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 09:26:34 PM »
Sorry, I forgot! I can't help with online ordering, though. I hope someone else has experience with that.

It's also possible to rebuild them, but I've never done that myself.
NSS#47184

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:24:04 PM »
Just make sureto show us correcrt rotation. In other words pic us the set up.

Manitowoc WI

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 08:21:50 AM »
Here we are. Coolant is weeping out. I guess the car is bound to another period of forced rest. I hate that.

Rotation, well, I have no pics at hand now, but the set up is as follows:

three separate belts (no serpentine), standing in front of the car, the fan (and the pulley, and the pump) turns clockwise, and it sucks air through the rad.

I think the fan clutch is stuck, too (if I try to spin the fan by hand, even if everything's cool, it doesn't move until the belt starts to slip), and maybe that's the culprit for the pump failure. I'll replace it too.

RockAuto lists several pumps for an'81 LTD wagon. As far as I can see the main difference is about rotation: serpentine belt equipped cars need counterclockwise,  no serpentine (like mine and most of the others) need clockwise, always standing in front of the car.

Also fan clutches seem to follow the same classification: I think I'll need all "clockwise" stuff.

Am I right ?

(I'm sorry if I seem confused and confusing, but I'm just a little bit frustrated ;) )

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 09:30:27 AM »
I did a search on rock auto and they have 2 pumps that show the impeller.  in the pictures they are the correct pumps.  hope that helps ya out   
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 11:54:51 AM »
Yeah, that's the right direction. That's the most important thing.

Earlier 258s used a different length shaft, but there should be no confusion with anything between 1980-1988. They all should be the exact same water pump as far as fitment is concerned.
NSS#47184

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 04:32:00 AM »
Thank you all for the input... parts should be on the way. I ordered a Cardone (new, not reman) pump w/gasket, a new thermal fan clutch (mine was obviously shot, I guess that's why the pump failed), a new rad cap and a new rad peacock (something tells me I'll break the old one, I'd better be prepared).

I'll be draining the circuit and removing lots of parts, so I think it will be great time to install that new thermostat, thermostat housing and rad hoses I had sitting around in a box since last order.

I just hope the parts will be here for friday, so that next weekend I can start (and hopefully finish) this new job. Until then, I'll have to share (again !) my wife's ride and use (again !) the train to get back home from work at night. It's the second time it happens this year...

As usual, I'll have lots of questions, I think I'll have to browse the Forum again to gather the needed info...

Basically, I'll need directions to:

1) safely drain the cooling system with minimal mess (I hate the idea of coolant all over the place, call me a stoopid but I don't want my dog to mess with that stuff);

2) replacing pump and t-stat without breaking stuff (I guess I'll have to deal with frozen bolts AGAIN);

3) properly refilling and purging the system (don't want air bubbles to hang in there).

Any suggestions, tips and advice are welcome, as usual.

I'm writing this without looking at the car, but there's one thing that worries me: I saw that replacing the pump implies removing some brackets, and one of them (it seems) has to do with one of the bolts holding the valve cover. I'd rather not mess with it, as it's still tight and doesn't leak a drop of oil. Do you think I can leave it alone ?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 06:36:02 AM »
IIRC no valve cover bolts have to be removed.  Make sure the small hole on the t-stat is pointed towards 12:00.  One thing I do, is if you have a flushing tee is to raise the hose it is in higher than the the rest of the cooling system and then open the cap far enough to let any air escape as you finish filling the system.  Did you get a new t-stat housing too?  Not to jinx you, but the like to crack on me if I don't have a spare one lying around.  There are two kinds available, the pot metal type which like to crack and the better cast iron ones which are bit stronger.  I tighten those two fasteners alternately.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk