News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:35:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My winter sx/4  (Read 7341 times)

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
My winter sx/4
« on: February 12, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »
So to go along with my 3 79 amx's I have a 83 sx4. Its a 258 5 speed. I picked it up last spring to use for parts for my amx I was restoring. It ended up be 100 percent rust free so to nice to part. The owner had it partial disassembled when I bought it

I put the trans and t case back in, all new bearings in the rear, edelbrock 4 barrel, new exhaust, brakes, calipers, wheel cylinders, u joints, clutch master and slave, Aluminum slot wheels, A matte black paint job, 50 inch light bar under the front bumper, custom hood, made my own decals and a bunch of other odds and ends. So far It has made a great winter beater

Game plan sooner or later it to put a 360 in it with e bay turbo set up,

How I brought it home

Now how it sits with a few months of work

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: My winter sx/4
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 10:19:59 PM »
great job! what manifold are you using, show some engine pics please, thanks, gz

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 11:36:39 PM »
Just the stock manifold. Original carb was junk so had 500 edelbrock laying around.  I made up an adapter plate and since the day I put it together it has just worked. Electric choke helps. When I can lay the car up it will Get a 360 but right now been Daily driving it.

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »
Warm day in New York..Able to give it a good bath in middle of February. Louvers on, light bar, new fog lights, windshield banner.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 11:08:34 PM »
Wow, that underside looks spotless! How far did you have to drive to find that in new York!?
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 11:41:30 PM »
hi, you seem to be a man of many talents. I would love to see that adapter plate, thinking of going the same route, if you make another, let me know, thanks, gz

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 09:54:09 AM »
I found the car around 3 hours south in Allentown pa in a garage. It had been stored since the late 90s. I had only went to buy a clean set of doors and nos side lights from the guy after a small ad on craigslist. He wanted 275 for doors and lights or said I have a sx/4 and parts for 800. So bought everything. Turned out entire attic was packed. 4 fenders, doors, spoilers, rally steering wheels, seats, diffs, nos vacuum motors for 4wd, tranny mounts, new box of clutch master, hoses, u joints, brakes etc.  guy had stripped a few sx4 over the years. Ended up making multiple trips to get it all of it home. He wanted to see it go to amc person.   

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 09:58:09 AM »
For an adapter I think I made an old mr gadket 2 to 4 work. Used it upside down.  Where the intake bolts come through on the 2 barrel part I drilled out a nut so it fit over the stud and filled in the odd void of running it upside down then used original nuts. I think I made a new gasket a bit bigger because it ends up with 4 small air leaks on the corners.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »
I found the car around 3 hours south in Allentown pa in a garage. It had been stored since the late 90s. I had only went to buy a clean set of doors and nos side lights from the guy after a small ad on craigslist. He wanted 275 for doors and lights or said I have a sx/4 and parts for 800. So bought everything. Turned out entire attic was packed. 4 fenders, doors, spoilers, rally steering wheels, seats, diffs, nos vacuum motors for 4wd, tranny mounts, new box of clutch master, hoses, u joints, brakes etc.  guy had stripped a few sx4 over the years. Ended up making multiple trips to get it all of it home. He wanted to see it go to amc person.

Very cool story!  I think half of the cool factor of owning an Eagle (or any old car) is the story about how you find and acquire the car!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 10:36:42 AM »
Some more pic

I had a mint set of rear bumper caps but had sold them a few months before buying this car.. The rear caps are off a wagon. You can make them fit close enough and still look good. That is what is on the car now

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:38:35 AM by racerkilla »

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 10:50:12 AM »
What's the brand of lightbar that you installed under the front bumper?  Thanks.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 10:55:13 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAQP0U6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

50 inch bar. It fit pretty good. I was able to drill and mount it to the bottom lip of the bumper. Tight to get the bolts in and out. Amazing how well it lights the road

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 11:32:07 AM »
Those underneath pics are blowing me away. It looks mint!!!

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 12:34:39 PM »
Yea entire frame, floor pans, even the rear didn't have surface rust. I took truck bedliner by the gallon and sprayed the entire underside with a shultz gun before letting it see the crappy roads.  I even took stuff and tried to treat the inside of the frame by going into the holes. Kind of a shame to use for a winter car but I have so many nice summer cars that I didn't need just another summer car. Only part of the car that had some surface rust was the driver fender that looks like it was changed/repainted at some point. Paint didn't seem to hold up

playing in the snow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNayrGcbcKg

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »
Very nice! You got some sweet rides man. Glad to see you actually drive them!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk