News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:00:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Diagnosing Stepper Motor?  (Read 10975 times)

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
Re: Diagnosing Stepper Motor?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 10:44:18 PM »
That's true too, but even with a bad o2 sensor, the stepper motor would still initialize, and would probably adjust mixture, however, it would adjust it wrong based on a bad sensor signal. It adjusts by just moving the pins back and forth.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »
Yes, the stepper motor continues to do its thing, even with a bad o2 sensor or a non working/disconnected egr valvel
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 10:24:23 PM »
I would check for a vaccum leak or stuck egr valve.

Offline RCielec

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 10:13:43 PM »
Well, this is interesting. The actuator spring of the stepper motor was dislodged, broken in half and jammed into the well it occupies. Was in no postiton to actuate anything. I wonder if a backfire compressed the stepper motor sufficiently to allow the spring to dislodge.
Getting curiouser and curiouser.
Richard Cielec
Chicago, Illinois; U.S.A.
Richard Cielec
Chicago, Illinois

Offline RCielec

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 10:50:43 PM »
Ahoy !
Finally got someone to help with the diagnostics. You know the situation: One person to keep the motor running while the other person pokes about under the hood. Anyway..
I think the cause of the problem is found: leaking intake manifold gasket. Sprayed carb cleaner around the joint and heard the idle change dramatically. Intake manifold leak is toward the rear and just in front of the last bolt the secures the intake manifold to the cylinder head.

Thanks to all for your comments. I learned quite a bit.

In truth, I have to think about whether to change the gasket or sell both cars (both have same problem). Frankly, I just don't have the time nor mental focus at present.

Richard Cielec
Chicago, Illinois; U.S.A.
Richard Cielec
Chicago, Illinois

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk