News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 05:56:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: clutch fork spring  (Read 2871 times)

Offline lesteraddatz

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
clutch fork spring
« on: March 04, 2011, 12:46:11 AM »
i am the owner of a 1983 sx4 DI an am inquiring on where i may find a clutch fork return spring.  I totally rebuilt my trans and swapped in a transfercase with multiple ranges. All ready to throw up under car, just that i miss placed my return spring for the clutch fork. The parts stores have no clue what it looks like or where to find one.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline MortenB

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
Re: clutch fork spring
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 04:10:09 PM »
Not sure where to get the spring, but I would think any spring would do.   I believe the only reason it is there is to hold the clutch fork against the ball, so the ball doesn't fall out during assembly.    My clutch pedal was all the way to the floor before the clutch would disengage.   I suspected lack of clutch ball, and I was correct.   My ball was missing:)   Now I have a couple extra balls just in case.   (let me know if you need one)
1983 Eagle SX/4, 6cyl 5 speed
1970 Camaro (undergoing restoration)
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1992 Chevrolet Blazer EV conversion; 100% ELECTRIC car, daily driver
1996 VW Golf Citistromer; 100% ELECTRIC car, daily driver

Offline lesteraddatz

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 01:02:30 AM »
thank you for that helpful info.  Makes sense when i think about it.  I've done quite a bit of work to my baby..(sx4) I will be posting detailed pics and info on my lift and other mods i have done in near future. once again appreciate all the help.

Offline MortenB

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 02:48:30 AM »
Doing the same job to mine.   I'm making sure to clean up the tunnel with wire wheel brush and undercoat the whole thing while the tranny ad exhaust are not in the way.   Rebuilt my tranny with new synchro gears. 
You should put a new rubber kit into the clutch master and slave cylinders while it's easy to get at.   I had a tough time getting the clutch master cylinder out; the top bolt was hard to get at, but its out now.  I'll be starting reassembly next week.
How will you hook up the controls to the new transfer case?   I have a Cherokee parts car that I plan to swap the fuel injection over from, and have thought about swapping the transfer case as well.
1983 Eagle SX/4, 6cyl 5 speed
1970 Camaro (undergoing restoration)
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1992 Chevrolet Blazer EV conversion; 100% ELECTRIC car, daily driver
1996 VW Golf Citistromer; 100% ELECTRIC car, daily driver

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk