News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:15:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transmission rebuild  (Read 55874 times)

Alcology

Transmission rebuild
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:44:07 PM »
This is a teaser!

So I took out my transmission and am doing a rebuild with a parts kit.  I was impatient on getting it apart so I did not take any pics.  I will, however, be taking pics as I replace seals and thingies (technical term).  Hopefully this will create a good basis for a how-to so your 998 will no longer be that mystery metal tube underneath your eagle.  I also believe I found the reason why I lost 3rd gear; I found a snap ring out of place inside.  So far so good.  
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:06:36 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Transmission rebuild, with pics!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 10:36:34 AM »
Looking forward to it.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 12:27:28 PM »
Yup, and don't forget the thingies, there's lots of them.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Alcology

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 02:44:39 PM »
Boy howdy, thingies galore.  I've just about finished with the rebuild and will be cleaning the case and putting it all back together.  A loose snap ring, a seal, some clutch plate wear, and band adjustments were the major culprits.  This really wasn't anywhere as bad as I thought it would be to do this and now I understand it that much better.  I have to sort out the pics and get writing. 

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 02:02:05 PM »
That's awesome... I can't wait to see your pics and read the write-up.

Alcology

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »
I'm nearly done!  As usual, I've hit a snag.  I checked the TSM and the parts manual, and I can't figure out where this piece fits.  I'm pretty sure it came off the valve body, and I found a place where it might screw into, but it doesn't make any sense for it to be there.  Anyone know where this goes? 

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 08:25:22 PM »
OK -- I found it. If you have a TSM it is Fig 2C-55  Valve body controls.  Its a stiffener plate that mounts just in front of the large circular thingy.   It appears to be only used in 998 transmissions, not the 904's?

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Alcology

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
That's awesome Iowa, thanks.  I egged ya.  There's a very unintentionally funny line in the book about the valve body.  Basically boils down to: this part can only be damaged by user servicing, don't mess up.  I'm going through and labelling pics.  I feel like most of this rebuild has been done in between hockey periods :)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 01:49:56 PM »
Thanks.  3 more Eggs and I will be a Gen III AMC V-8.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »
Thanks.  3 more Eggs and I will be a Gen III AMC V-8.

Had to do it.  ;D  I'm always seeing engine displacements and even t-case model numbers in everything.  Like the clock display etc.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 09:50:44 PM »
Can't see the rebuild wait to see the rebuild how to.  I might have to do one on my Eagle before the meet :(
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 06:43:26 AM »
Thanks -- next goal: 343.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 06:14:58 PM »
Thanks -- next goal: 343.

what about 327

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 06:54:59 PM »
You are right Brandon.  The original AMC V8 power house.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 07:27:03 PM »
I think I'm detecting a bit of Egg inflation.

8)

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 12:01:26 AM »
Just a bit... maybe.  I couldn't really resist.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 06:28:49 AM »
WOW!  You suspect right. 

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 04:36:12 PM »
We will try too keep Doug happy @327 for a while now?
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 04:49:28 PM »
Heck I would be happy at 258.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Alcology

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 11:51:12 AM »
Ok, so good news, I got everything back in under my car!  I will be finishing the how to next week during a work conference :)  I have however hit one crazy snag and I need your help!  My transmission mount no longer fits on the bolts!  ???  What should I do here?  I think my car stretched like 5mm wider or something.  Should I file the transmission mount or bend it out a little more?  Weird problem. 

Alcology

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 08:30:45 PM »
Another update.  Life is busy.  I used pipe clamps to bring the unibody back together to put the mount in place.  As always, new problem.  This one is small and stupid!  The shifter and the linkage are out of sinc, so R on the shifter is N inside the transmission.  Not a biggy, but I'm just stuck trying to pry the linkage apart with no space.  Once I get more time, I can pull the mount off and bring the transmission down a little to get more room.  I'll have it soon!  I haven't had time to do the write up, but I'll get it together soon.

Offline ericarmstrong

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 52
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 12:35:09 AM »
I'm excited to see it
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4

Alcology

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 07:59:29 PM »
I've been really lazy with getting this write up together.  Couple that with lots of snags in getting things together right.  Including getting screwed by an exhaust shop (I've sinced fixed it, but I could not get my exhaust together on my own, so frustrating!  So I brought it to a meineke and they got lazy and didn't mount it correctly so it was banging away at the front propeller shaft.)  I've reached a final impasse.  I forgot to adjust the front band before putting everything back in.  I didn't cut a slot in the adjustment screw to make it easy to adjust either and now that it's in place, there is no room to get in there and cut one.  Are there any sockets that fit on that square head?  I've tightened it up as far as a wrench would get it, but it's not enough.  I also don't want to get lazy and have my clutch plates burn out due to my laziness.  Any help is appreciated and I will get to the writing ASAP.

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 08:13:03 PM »
8 point sockets are available in some sizes. I bought 3 ( ¼, 7/16, & 3/8 ) all in 3/8 drive at Sears Hardware. They fit the square oil drain plugs on lawn mower engines perfectly!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:06:17 PM by 1OldFordMan »
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Alcology

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »
That is eggcellent news.  I'm going to find some tomorrow, thanks!

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 12:08:10 PM »
Good luck, not sure what sizes are available or what drives they make. Never really checked, just got what I needed.
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Alcology

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 10:36:41 PM »
Alright!  I've finally made myself sit down and do this.  This is to cover removing the 998 transmission and rebuilding it and installing it again.  I've taken pictures to document the rebuild, but I did not pics of removing the transmission and where are the bolts are.  I can hopefully describe them and list all the troubles I've encountered.  First off, why did I do this?  I had stupidly not kept an eye on my transmission fluid level.  I had a leak that I could not identify, and shops could not seem to find. (I'll have another post about my disappointment with the shops I've used)  I was on the highway and I heard a pop and immediately lost power and couldn't go beyond 50mph.  There was a clicking sound in front of the firewall that I never identified and never came back.  It smelled like burning nuts or some kind of varnish.  I got home and thought the worst.  I refilled the fluid and went for a test drive and it wouldn't shift.  I tried adjusting my bands and throttle linkage, didn't really do much.  I thought about rebuilding it, and decided I'd rather pay a shop.  Bah.  They said it was a leaky pan and replaced the pan and said everything was fine and they test drove it.  Filthy lies!  I still had the same problem and was out some cash.  I decided to rebuild.  I bought a kit from Advance Auto Parts and went to work.  Here's a list of what to do.  Make sure you have a place to work on the transmission before pulling it out.  Let me know if I am missing anything. 

:police: Safety Gear:
Goggles or safety glasses.  You don't want anything in your eyes that's been under your car. 
Latex or Nitrile gloves.  I prefer nitrile.
Jack stands
Bandages (It's bound to happen.)
Gojo or some type of grease remover
Tire chucks or something to block your wheels if any are on the ground. 
Jack on wheels for the transmission.  Very helpful

Tools:
A workspace like a table to do the rebuild on. 
Transmission rebuild kit.  I got mine from Advance Auto for $50 compatible with 727 998 900 series
Socket and ratchet set.  I used a $99 great neck special that had a range of sizes. 
Ratchet extensions.  2 feet is probably good.
Universal Joint.  To get on hard to reach bolts. Get a good one or warrantied, I had one shatter. 
8 point socket is helpful but not necessary. 
Snap ring pliers.  You need these and get a good pair to save headaches later.
Feeler gauges.  To measure clutch plate clearance and others.
ATF fluid.  Dexron III compatible
Petroleum jelly.  I didn't use it, but it would've been helpful to hold washers in place. 
Shop Towels or something to clean the internals of the transmission.
Cotton swabs for cleaning. 
Screw drivers. 
Patience.   ;D Best tool we have. 

Let your car cool for a day.  No burns.  Get a bunch of ziplock bags and a sharpie to label where everything came from.  It helped me out a lot.  Also, be aware the transmission is heavy and will snap fingers and pull on your engine.  The transmission mount holds up the transmission so make sure your transmission is supported on a jack before removing the mount. 

First, I disconnected the battery.  Jack the car up on jack stands front and back.  I only had 1 pair of jackstands and I managed to make it work by just jacking up the front but I think it would be easier with the whole car up.  Remove the front and rear propeller shaft and set these aside and bag up the little bits.  Then remove the wires to the neutral safety switch.  This harness is located on the transmission on the drivers side right above the transmission pan.  Then pull the harness off and pull it back up into the engine bay.  It snakes down from the passenger side.  Next, disconnect the wires that go to the starter motor also on the passenger side.  And remove the starter motor.  It's heavy so support it with one hand or a stand while unscrewing the 2 bolts holding it in.  If you have the inclination, you can buy a kit to rebuild the starter as well.  I didn't bother since it worked fine.  Disconnect the throttle linkage.  This goes from the carburetor to the transmission.  There is a connector plate with 2 bolts in it, just unscrew the bolts and remove the throttle linkage rod and then tighten the screws back into the plate and leave it there.  Empty the transmission fluid by removing the pan and then replace the pan.  Some fluid will still be inside.  There are two transmission fluid lines going to the radiator attached to the transmission, unscrew these and try to keep them out of the way. 

I had two thoughts on this next part and I'm not entirely clear on which one I settled on.  I think I used a jack underneath the transmission pan with a wood block between the jack and the transmission.  I then took off the transmission mount.  There are two bolts in the middle of the mount that link the mount and the transmission.  Remove these bolts and bag them.  I lost mine somehow.  Next remove the plate protecting the differential, there are 4 bolts there.  Bag em up and set the plate aside.  Make sure your jack is in place supporting the transmission.  There are 4 bolts connecting the transmission mount, remove these and bag em.  You might need to persuade the mount off with a prybar and set the mount aside.  You can slowly and carefully lower the jack a little ways to access the shifter linkage that goes from the transmission to the shifter in the car.  Detach the linkage by loosening the screw on the linkage block and slide the shift linkage rod out.  You might need a hammer to persuade the block off.  Disconnect the vacuum actuator to the differential that turns on 4wd.  The speedometer cable is also attached back here, you might want to stick a pan underneath it when you remove it because ATF is still in there and will drain out.  Also check if the transmission has a mount from the transmission to the exhaust, if it's there, try to get it off to make life easier.  Now the transmission can be removed.  It might be easier to remove the exhaust from the manifold for this part, but your exhaust might be rusted on like mine and then it might break at the next rustiest spot, possibly next to the catalytic converter when your transmission drops on it.  Just saying. 

The transmission has 6 bolts attaching it to the engine and is also attached to the flywheel.  First remove the  flywheel plate and bag the bolts.  There are 4 flat bolts connecting the flywheel to the torque converter.  I removed them by rotating the flywheel with a screw driver to get to the bolts and removing each one.  There might be a better way, if there is I will post that in here.  Now the six bolts can be removed.  There are 2 on top of the transmission that you can probably feel by reaching around the engine, these need to be accessed by an extension and universal joint on your ratchet.  Make sure you know where the bolts go I think some are sized differently.  Once these bolts are removed, the transmission can now be pulled away from the engine.  This was difficult for me by myself.  Don't be lonely, get a friend.  Make sure the transmission is balanced on the jack and  that you can control it.  I ended up moving the transmission back and forth until it released and I lowered it on the jack and got it out from under the car.  This took awhile for me.  Now you have the transmission out.  Remove the torque converter so it doesn't drop out on your toes later.  Cleaning time!

Clean the transmission and differential before working on it, this way you don't get any sand, dirt, dead bugs, or roadkill in your open transmission.  This will also give you a chance to visually inspect the outside thoroughly and check for any cracks or whatnot in the housing.  Also, remove the linkages from the throttle lever.  And keep these somewhere.  Use a high power hose and a brush.  If this hasn't been done before, chances are you are seeing buildup from the whole life of the car!  It's like a fossil!  But a gross and toxic fossil.  At this point I had neither the raw man-strength or friends around to help me get the whole thing into the basement.  Who knows, maybe you are the Hulk or Mav and can do these things.  I chose to disconnect the differential from the adapter housing, splitting it into 2 loads of dead body weight that I could carry into my basement since that is the area I had to work with.  I would've chosen another spot if it was available.  Have somewhere clean and spacious to get this done. 

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 11:35:24 PM »
hey maverick and the hulk aren't the only ones who can do that. how do you think i got mine back on my jack when it fell off it. of coarse i was on dirt by myself. i never want to do that again.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 09:13:20 AM »
Now to remember to get this edited and into the eaglepedia.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 10:34:35 AM »
I have to ask - This post is called "Transmission rebuild, with pics!", So Where are the pics??  Is there a link I keep missing, or what?

Alcology

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 05:35:13 PM »
Still coming whuntmore.  That's a part 1.  I didn't take any pics to get the transmission off the car sadly.  I have ~50 pics that I'm including in the rebuild of the transmission itself.  I'm going to finish it this week.  I just wanted to put something up here to give people something and to motivate myself to finish.  I found the manual to be good, but it was still lacking some things so hopefully my pics can help fill in the gaps. 

Alcology

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 06:01:51 PM »
Bad news.  My computer's hard drive where I had been keeping all the pics died.  I'm going to try to resuscitate it but I don't have high hopes.  I should not have procrastinated on this.  Lesson learned I guess. 

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 06:08:10 PM »
That sucks!  Hopefully you can recover your pics.  good luck!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 07:27:11 PM »
A lesson we all need to heed.  I hope you can rescue them too.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 09:29:23 PM »
Best advice I ever heard for data backup

I've heard people say if it isn't in three places, it doesn't exist. I've lost a number of drives over the years, so I tend to agree... not that I'm as diligent as I should be either.  ::)
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline MaskNMI

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 06:46:21 PM »
hey, maybe this is a stupid question, but I've searched this whole thread....

what kind of tranny are we talking about here?? manual? auto?

anyway I'm excited to see your pics, esp if it's an automatic

I have done a Ford 3sp automatic from ground up before, I am not an expert tranny builder, but I've done it, and done lots of simpler automatic tranny work......happy to share experiences

I can make a couple suggestions:

A Tranny stand that you can bolt the bellhousing/case to and maybe rotate back and forth (or an engine stand adapted to do the job, but you need to be able to slide things in and out the bore of the case) is VERY helpful....maybe local tranny shop has a spare they sell you cheap, or they can direct you to the area tranny parts supplier if you don't know it already...you won't be sorry if you get one, even if it's a fixed stand bolted to a bench.....make your job a LOT easier

a high-quality tool to replace the bronze bearings is a MUST, you NEED a bearing press for this if you don't want to ruin your brand new bearings....bronze is much softer than steel, remember that, or you learn the hard way like me ;D

other than that, keep track of the multitude of parts in the drums by having  them laid out in order and separated by gearset, and oh yeah, you already know you need some snap-ring pliers baby!

HAVE FUN ;D

Alcology

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 09:41:32 PM »
It's an auto Mask.  I did the rebuild last late winter/early spring.  I only had a small space on a folding table in the small basement of the apartment I had been renting at the time.  The detente ball at one point flew off and landed in a broken area of the concrete floor!  I started laughing it was so absurd, because at first I had no idea where it went.  I tried to keep everything organized by piece like you said and that really helped. 

Offline MaskNMI

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 03:49:27 AM »
alco: d'oh! I REALLY need to stop skimming threads quickly, I noticed when I opened it up this time you said 998 (don't ask me how I missed that....) in the first post and that this thread is old like you say....

so cool, that's even better now I can ask you questions; so you didn't use a stand, (i didn't either, lol, that's how I knew I wish I had one ;D) but how did you do with the bushings?

did you already have a press? make your own?? buy one?!? expensive?!?!?

hehe, I think I remember chasing a couple parts that shot out, too heheh

sorry again, I confuse myself cause I read too fast and then I see the date on the most recent posts and I stupidly assume the whole thread is similar age

hey, LOVE to see those pics though, like I said I've done a Ford, really like to see the differences in case I end up needing to 'haul her in the future!

Alcology

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 08:48:20 PM »
No prob Mask!  So for the bushings, I don't have a press and I didn't feel like doing them if I didn't have to.  I used feeler gauges to check the tolerances and see if they specced up.  Everything checked out so I left them alone.  Maybe it will bite me in the butt in the future, but that's why I recently picked up a T4.   ::)

Offline MaskNMI

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 11:45:34 PM »
ha, gotcha, hey in spec is in-spec!

I thought about that after I had destroyed the old ones getting them out ("did I really *need* to do that?!?") heh

Alcology

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2010, 12:57:28 AM »
Yeah!  That's one of those things when you get into it you just keep going.  I did that with the valve body.  Bad idea.  Took forever to get the springs back in place. 

Alcology

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2011, 08:47:48 PM »
Got my pics back.  I'm going to get to work in the next weeks to write this up.

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 11:21:23 AM »
I have a question:when the rebuilt tranny goes in,how much fluid should be in the case/converter,do you have to "prime it" with a few quarts?then add the rest as it idles? I realize the indicator tube won't be added till its going in,any thought would be appreciated.
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 12:02:53 PM »
I layed my converter flat and added a quart , then tipped it up vertical, and checked it.You really don't want to add more than would run out when tipped back vertical or you will have a mess on your hands when you try and put it back in.As far as the tranny itself , I had the pan installed before I put the tranny in , installed the tranny,and then filled it to the recommended capacity before starting , let it warm up, run it through the gears ( but not driveing it ) recheck the fluid level , add as needed.

Alcology

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2011, 02:36:07 PM »
I put it back in empty, filled slightly less than recommended and started the car and put it through the gears like gopac.  I checked the level and then filled to capacity. 

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2011, 11:06:18 AM »
Thanks guys for the quick response.very cool
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 03:33:32 AM »
OK -- I found it. If you have a TSM it is Fig 2C-55  Valve body controls.  Its a stiffener plate that mounts just in front of the large circular thingy.   It appears to be only used in 998 transmissions, not the 904's?

I think that's the end plate that goes over the spring which controls the lockup converter. There is a kit to make it upshift at closer to 50 mph.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2011, 11:40:51 AM »
Alcology did you mean to disconnect the shifter linkage above the transmission? where the shifter rod comes down through the floor  and attaches to the lower rod( that attaches to the gear selector lever)?If so,I guess I know my next step,jack,wood block and remove the mount and crossmember to gain access to that point,hmm think I'll use 2 jacks.
  I think i'd rather cut the trans cooling lines and get new ones later or make 'em if I have to.anyone know how easy these are to come by ?

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 07:11:54 AM »
I just pulled the clamp/pivot thing up off the gear selector post right at the tranny, it was like a split clamp,lossened the bolt/nut,then opened it up slightly by prying with a screwdriver and lifted it off the post.

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 10:01:21 AM »
 ;D I think I'll try that first ,thanks

Alcology

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »
I reached up and undid the clamp to the shifter, but it's easier to do what GOPAC suggested.

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »
I soaked that spot in penetrating  oil but still no go but the lower section came apart nice an easy once I cleaned it and saw what I was dealing with.

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2012, 12:22:22 PM »
So this weekend I'm under my 87 Eagle Limited automatic.  Took down the skid plate and wanted to make sure the transfercase vacuum actuator is working properly, and I can't locate it!  I'm sure its hidden on top of the unit somewhere, but where? Pass side? Driver side? And direction/information would be greatly appreciated.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2012, 12:36:52 PM »
Driver's side just ahead of the joint between trans and case.

It would be about where the linkage is in the one on the bottom left (998 old trans vs 727 new trans for my Eagle)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
Re: Transmission rebuild
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2012, 06:53:39 PM »
All I see seems to be diaphragm (makes sense, I guess) but I can' t find the vacuum source.  Is it that yellow plastic line?
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2012, 06:54:34 PM »
Yes

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2012, 09:06:19 PM »
Driver's side just ahead of the joint between trans and case.

It would be about where the linkage is in the one on the bottom left (998 old trans vs 727 new trans for my Eagle)
:o WOW! I've never seen the 998 and 727 together. i see why your switching!

Alcology

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2012, 04:35:35 PM »
So...  been awhile since I posted in here.  Sorry to all who were expecting a finish here.  I have pictures, but I never did get my trans working correctly.  I brought it to a trans specialist for them to do it and they didn't get it working either  :banghead:  So I'm just finishing rebuilding a T5 to swap.  It's a little easier to rebuild!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk