News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:28:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What kind of finish is on the aluminum bumpers?  (Read 19663 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: What kind of finish is on the aluminum bumpers?
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2011, 10:27:46 AM »
Thanks Eagleman.  The time I spent on it could have been cut down quite a bit if I had used the sand/easyoff/sand/easyoff method at the start or done as Vangremlin suggested and had the bumper sandblasted.  Also slowing me down was I did most of the sanding with a jitterbug which doesn't cut real well even with coarse sandpaper.  I have an inline sander which is what is best for the coarser sanding but it was working poorly, frequently stopping or running so slow that it was actually faster to sand by hand (which I also did).

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2011, 11:34:36 PM »
I would like to paint my bumper black.  It looks like someone did, but they didn't prep it right or didn't put on enough layers because it chipped really bad.

I was going to use Klean Strip paint stripper, let it etch slightly, then sand, prime and paint.  Would that work ok?
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2011, 11:57:56 PM »
I'm a little foggy on what I did with the aluminum I painted, but if I remember correctly there is a special primer for aluminum.  Hopefully someone else will post that knows better than me.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2011, 02:32:02 AM »
Use an etch primer made for aluminum then paint over it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2011, 12:48:44 AM »
I wish I could afford that shipping.  If I were to have someone sandblast it, would I have to use a certain kind of media?  I was going to sand it down by hand  :-\.  I bought Dupli-Color Self-Etching Primer.  Says it works on Aluminum, Steel and Fiberglass.  I also plan to use it on the spoiler.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline ozarkrebel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2011, 10:47:14 AM »
Here is a good website for prepping and painting aluminum, steel, and plastics. I used his directions for painting the plastic fender flares on my wife's pathfinder and it still looked good a year later.

http://www.overclockers.com/how-to-paint-steel-aluminum-plastic-and-acrylic/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk