News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 06:29:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starter Motor Upgrades?  (Read 4734 times)

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Starter Motor Upgrades?
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »
One of the few parts that haven't been replaced or rebuilt on my Eagle is the starter motor. With almost 150k miles on it now, I figure it may be due to go in the future, although working fine now. (Knocks Wood) ;D

So I'm wondering what starter motors will work on Eagles with the 258 (besides the stock or stock replacement one).

I'd like it to be direct replacement without any wiring modifications.

Will later Jeep starters work?    Aftermarket high-torque mini starters?      Any Ford Starters with more power?

Just wondering if there's any easy upgrades or just wait until the one I have fails and get a stock lifetime replacement one from Autozone.

Thanks in advance.

1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Starter Motor Upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 10:14:48 PM »
First, if you have the original starter, DO NOT get a parts store rebuild. Try to find an auto electric shop in your area that will rebuild your starter. The only option I know of is the Mitsubishi style that showed up on 88 eagles and are on Jeeps with the 4.0L. However you need a different flywheel or flexplate to go with that starter and will also have to do a very little bit of wiring.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 11:17:55 PM »
Thanks for info eaglefreek. I've had an older 1.5hp Chrysler gear reduction starter rebuilt at a local shop, so I know of a place to have mine rebuilt.
I was curious about the Jeep starters as I figured they would bolt up, but wasn't sure if there were different types or amounts of teeth than what the Eagles used. I'm definitely not going to separate the trans just to have a Jeep starter then.  ;D

I'm assuming we can post links from eBay on the Den, as I've seen a few. If not, my mistake.

What do you think about this type of starter? Claims it will work. Anyone put one on an Eagle?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CJ-WAGONEER-WRANGLER-AMC-AMX-HIGH-TORQUE-MINI-RACE-STARTER-/271266994419?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f28c5d8f3&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:21:29 PM by TLC87Eagle »
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 12:07:14 AM »
links are ok now I believe
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 03:22:57 AM »
If it will fit a pre '87 Grand Wagoneer, it will fit/work in an Eagle 6 cyl. 4 cyl are different and I don't know if the last few built used XJ style starters or not.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk