News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:37:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The full XJ to Eagle swap process  (Read 32396 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: The full XJ to Eagle swap process
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2018, 01:34:43 PM »
Since I've completed most of the car I've had to adjust and modify a few things.

IMPORTANT : If you do the swap and use an XJ fuel tank do NOT get the extended range tank. Stay with the stock sized XJ tank, no sender I've used has worked properly and these were ones meant for the extra sized tank.

I have an old YJ rear driveshaft cut to fit the front end. Flawless

I've had to adjust/cut/weld the front hangars for the axle. I suggest NOT cutting them at all, if you add in new springs and they end up ramming the Eagle into the air and the lower control arms hit the frame wait : The springs will relax and sag.

I changed the rear to an 8.25 then to a Dana 35 with TracLock. Miles better feel to the vehicle now, but I need a custom rear driveshaft made. I will be getting one made as soon as I remove some of the old leaves in the rear pack and replace them with much more sturdy leaves.

I have not figured out how to adapt the XJ A/C into the Eagle yet which has been miserable this summer.

There is more that has been done since, but I can't recall right now.

Offline thammerman

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2018, 10:55:41 PM »
This is an amazing thread. Much of the info is useful for a 4.0 swap with similar parts. Would an xj exhaust manifold  work with the stock eagle motor and axle mounts or do the mounts need fabbing no matter what? Also could the wiper wiring be used with just a head and efi swap? I’m trying to pimp my eagle with an xj without swapping the 4.2 out.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2018, 07:22:03 PM »
The whole XJ exhaust can be used, but where the mount his onto the engine it may need to be heated and massaged to clear.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2018, 06:39:54 PM »
I had a 4.0 head put onto my stock Eagle engine, and used the Cherokee "header" style exhaust manifold.  They had to heat it up and bang on it with a hammer to make it all fit but it did.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk