News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:34:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Auto to manual?  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Auto to manual?
« on: March 13, 2019, 01:38:54 PM »
How difficult is it to take the TF998 out of an 83 SX/4 and add a manual? What cutting would be needed to hook up the clutch and such? Not really planning on it, but more or less just to hear the pro's and con's.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Auto to manual?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 04:06:17 PM »
What transmission. When i did mine it was a bolt in. But i grabbed all parts from a junkyard eagle. I however didn't realize the crossmember was different. So i had a long seach to get one. The yard scrapped that member, and car before i realized i needed it.

Manitowoc WI

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 05:23:39 PM »
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:03:46 AM »
Foolish of me to believe that maybe I was the first with this notion. Thank you for the links guys. Im thinking of doing the 5 speed that was put into the other eagles?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 05:14:43 PM »
The trans mount is also different barely. 2 extra studs is the only difference.

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk