News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 09:44:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4 wheel drive not engaging - what could be the problem?  (Read 6982 times)

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
4 wheel drive not engaging - what could be the problem?
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:44:42 AM »
Still looking for an SX/4, ran across one that seems to only have this one problem...
The cars 4x4 system needs some work the car drives in 2 wheel drive. but when using 4x4 the trans axle does not stay engaged.
Would running new vac lines for the 4x4 fix the problem?
Or is it something else?

Is it hard to find all the vacuum lines for an SX/4?
How much does it cost for all the lines?
_____________________________________________________________________________________
This particular car has the following:
4.2 liter i6 with an offenhauser intake converting the car to a four barrel.
edelbrock 600 cfm carburetor (car starts great and runs a little rich but with new jets or carb problem is solved)
new HEI distributor
transmission is an automatic 3 speed no over drive
133k miles
all factory smog parts have been removed (straight pipe exhaust too)

What do you think?
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: 4 wheel drive not engaging - what could be the problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 12:42:32 PM »
The vacuum lines should just be generic vacuum tubing that you can get from an auto parts store.  I've never looked at the tcase vacuum hoses, but I know at least the front diff are made up of generic hosing, so I assume the tcase is the same way.

Also, a 600 cfm carb seems a little big for a 258.  You might consider looking for a slightly smaller carb if you buy it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:59:51 PM by Draekon »

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 01:10:29 PM »
If you can't find a good used set then you can make your own.  The steel manifolds do present a problem.  They may look OK, but can have pin holes.  I think one of the major AMC vendors might have the plastic lines.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 01:24:15 PM »
Would be awesome if it is just the line over the manifold.
And he did state "the car drives in 2 wheel drive. but when using 4x4 the trans axle does not stay engaged.", so it is getting some vacuum for a period of time but then loses it.
My hope is that it is an obvious hole or crack.
I could see going through each individual line to detect a small pin hole would prove to be a pain. Is there something that could be used to run through the lines quicker? Maybe some type of water/soap spray that would shows up as bubbles when a leak is detected.
But so far this 4WD problem and the car running rich seems to be the only problems that he has stated so far.
Will dig further and get more info, then to determine if it is worth it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 01:25:41 PM »
Assuming transaxle means the front axle, in my opinion it would be simpler to lock the front axle, making it shift on the fly, rather than messing around with vac hoses.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:38:32 PM »
You can get a handheld vacuum gauge and check the vacuum at the end of the hose where it would plug in to the transfer case.  I don't know what the specs should read, but maybe someone else can chime in on what reasonable values would be.

Offline runs.like

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • long trips are not yet advised.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 01:41:43 PM »
I'd climb underneathe with a 9/16 wrench and manually engage the 4x4- check the eaglepedia for detals.  In my wagon the vac lines are a mess and looking for vac leaks in a 23 yr old mess of lines doesnkt seem realalistic to me so I engage it from below every time...4x4 in winter, 2 in summer.  I am planning to make it a mechanicl linkage using a push/pull cable like jeep guys and some other members have done in the past, I think someone did a write up about it at one point
1970 Mercedes 250
1988 Eagle Wagon
1989 Chevy C1500

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 01:46:26 PM »
I'd climb underneathe with a 9/16 wrench and manually engage the 4x4- check the eaglepedia for detals.  In my wagon the vac lines are a mess and looking for vac leaks in a 23 yr old mess of lines doesnkt seem realalistic to me so I engage it from below every time...4x4 in winter, 2 in summer.  I am planning to make it a mechanicl linkage using a push/pull cable like jeep guys and some other members have done in the past, I think someone did a write up about it at one point

There is a writeup in the eaglepedia
http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Cable_Operated_Transfer_Case_Shifter_-_Joshpit2003

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 04:18:29 PM »
Assuming transaxle means the front axle, in my opinion it would be simpler to lock the front axle, making it shift on the fly, rather than messing around with vac hoses.

Hmm, yes I would rather do that. Do we have a "how-to" write up on doing that anywhere?
*goes to do some hunting*

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 07:40:09 PM »
We do.  I think it may be in the 'pedia.
After losing my 4x4 in the snow winter before last - the 83 went into 4x2 and then 4x0 -
for this winter I not only put it in 4x4 underneath, I wired the lever in place.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk