News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 10:15:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle extinction theory  (Read 21369 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Re: Eagle extinction theory
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 09:20:53 PM »
Thats very true...I like EFI but I really know nothing about it...Id have alot better chance to get my old one barrel working again in a bind than I would a fuel injected system.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 02:12:30 AM »
Its strange how AMC was one of the first, if not the first company to experiment with EFI in 1957, yet ended up never offering it on any cars, even when it was becoming mainstream in the 80's.

thats because they didnt want to make cars that would leave americans stranded! a carb is allot simpler to make work in a emergency situation..

I have way too many personal accounts and stories of quite the opposite. The carbs on these things are the main reason people stop trying to work on them. Carbs are in the past, and are obsolete technology for a reason. They are found on nothing other than small yard equipment engines. Everyone thinks fuel injection is complicated and convoluted, but really it's no more complicated than your stereo. It's actually simpler.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 02:14:38 AM »
Thats very true...I like EFI but I really know nothing about it...Id have alot better chance to get my old one barrel working again in a bind than I would a fuel injected system.

Fuel injection is much easier to diagnose, as there is a specific set of parts in each subsystem, and it's extremely easy to diagnose using process of elimination, vs a carb.. "well, it could be idle speed, it could be jets, it could be mixture adjustment, it could be a bad gasket, it could be a sticking float..."
Simple tools with EFI eliminate the "could be"s down to "it is"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 07:24:13 PM »
It is true that in 1957 EFI was to complicated and could strand Americans. Thats probably why AMC decided not to offer it. Chrysler than used the same system in 1958, and most (if not all) were converted back to carbs because the system was completely unreliable. Only 1 car is still known to exist with the F.I. system (it too was converted from F.I. to a carb in the 50s). However, cars were not that reliable than either. Points could break at any possible moment leaving you stranded if you didn't know how to replace them, or didn't have any with you.

Fuel injection is much easier to diagnose, as there is a specific set of parts in each subsystem, and it's extremely easy to diagnose using process of elimination, vs a carb.. "well, it could be idle speed, it could be jets, it could be mixture adjustment, it could be a bad gasket, it could be a sticking float..."
Simple tools with EFI eliminate the "could be"s down to "it is"

I agree completely.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 02:06:14 AM »
As much as I like living in my carberated safety zone Id defiantly love to put the EFI on mine eventually one day... Ive seen Tougeagle's bird and its no joke. Theres no way a carberated Eagle could ever keep up with it...Heck my buddies 99 Cummins Dodge was struggling to keep up with it!!
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »
If you ever travel I-70 to the tunnel eastbound from Silverthorn you'll be very grateful you did, if/when you do.... it's capable of pulling 75 up that steep grade to the summit at 12k feet, but carbed I'd be loping along at half the speed limit, 35 mph all the way up...horsepower makes a HUGE difference on that section of highway, because by the time you're at the top, you've lost nearly 35% of what you had at sea level. that was a HUGE reason for my conversion, since my waggy is also my skimobile.

What's your 'sona?

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »
I'd have no problem dumping my carb for EFI, but doesn't that mean you gotta change the computer?  and changing the computer, you have to change (or mod) the sending unit/tank because it won't 'jive' with the new computer?

Then you have to alter/swap your instruments, because the newer computer won't jive with those either? 

I mean if it's as easy as converting the engine, and then swapping out a computer, and then that's it, and you don't have to alter most of the electronics, then I'd be game to do it asap.

What all is needed to convert the 258 (besides the head/intake) for it to run EFI?

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 08:23:18 PM »
I'd have no problem dumping my carb for EFI, but doesn't that mean you gotta change the computer?  and changing the computer, you have to change (or mod) the sending unit/tank because it won't 'jive' with the new computer?

Then you have to alter/swap your instruments, because the newer computer won't jive with those either? 

I mean if it's as easy as converting the engine, and then swapping out a computer, and then that's it, and you don't have to alter most of the electronics, then I'd be game to do it asap.

What all is needed to convert the 258 (besides the head/intake) for it to run EFI?

Check out the writeup in the projects section, 4.0 head/efi/cam swap complete, or somethign along those lines. You absolutely have to remove the entire stock engine wire harness and computer. There are no problems with using stock sending unit or stock instrumentation, the computer is a two wire hookup, one wire to your former coil wire, the other to a fuel pump and the last to the positive side of your battery. Don't forget the cam if you do an EFI swap, and lemme know if you have any questions, but again, read the writeup first :)

What's your 'sona?

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 10:48:27 PM »
I've read several write-ups, and I'm probably on info-overload.   

Thanks tougeagle, when I do this conversion, I just might need your help. 

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 01:28:50 AM »
I've read several write-ups, and I'm probably on info-overload.   

Thanks tougeagle, when I do this conversion, I just might need your help. 

No worries :)

What's your 'sona?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk