News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:16:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Planning a road trip to Albuquerque, NM for Balloon Festival  (Read 2557 times)

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Planning a road trip to Albuquerque, NM for Balloon Festival
« on: September 13, 2015, 03:33:00 PM »
The title says it all.(Edit: Ok, the title left out travel dates - we want to be in Abq on Sat, Oct 3 for the mass ascension, so leaving TX around Wed Sept 30 and arriving home whenever we miss the cat too much)

My girlfriend and I are planning on making a weeklong-ish road trip in my parent's 'o1 WJ Grand. We're looking for tips from anyone in the Albuquerque area (or NM in general) during the craziness that surrounds the Balloon Festival. I could go for meeting and seeing some Eagles/owners.

I know everything hotel-wise is booked solid for years to come in the area. We plan on tent camping for most of the trip, and have stops planned for Carlsbad and Roswell (where some of my people may or may not have crashed years ago), and a dozen or so other sites in NM and TX.  The KOAs in the area(Abq) want a minimum of 3 days stay, so we might not be able to find a place other than the local walmart paring lot!

The Jeep we will be driving has the 4.7L V8 and 4wd, and I might get some swaybar disconnects and sneak them on before the trip so we can head out to some BLM trails. Its not my YJ, or the Eagle, but it has its roots in the right place.

So, anyone with any suggestions, chime in. (someone in the distance yells, "Yeah, DONT GO THEN" )

PS, we miss you, Carl (Abqcarl). I hope his Eagle found a good home.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 04:50:15 PM by txjeeptx »
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Planning a road trip to Albuquerque, NM for Balloon Festival
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 09:06:03 PM »
I'm not real familiar with the Albuquerque area, but here are some of my favorite spots in New Mexico in case they happen to be on your route.

Capulin Volcano National Monument, straight east of Raton

http://www.nps.gov/cavo/index.htm

The Bandelier National Monument outside of Santa Fe

http://www.nps.gov/band/index.htm

And the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument north of Silver City.

http://www.nps.gov/gicl/index.htm

None of these may be on your planned route but if they do happen to be they are well worth the visit.  Or check them out at some point in the future!  Sounds like a fun trip
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: Planning a road trip to Albuquerque, NM for Balloon Festival
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 11:44:02 PM »
Bandelier and Gila are two stops/destinations we are making sure are on our route.

Kari likes to camp out, but also likes having a shower and real restroom facility, whereas I could go until i can't stand my own stink. Good ol' Google makes it so much easier to find good information about amenities than trip planning used to go.

We will probably stay in the Santa Fe area and drive to Albuquerque very early in the morning for the day of the balloon festival mass ascensions (Oct 3 or Oct 4), and do some day wheeling out west of town (Rio Puerco), or head up to the backroads to Jemez Springs in search of some dirt. Or stay in the Abq area and try to guess where the wind is carring the balloons and head for their likely descent locations.

We are interested in finding the best reasonable place to view the events without being typical touristas.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk