News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 14, 2024, 11:57:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starting Issue point me in the right direction  (Read 9857 times)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Starting Issue point me in the right direction
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 04:47:34 PM »
I also have the msd in one of mine. I have the 600al box to fire it. What do you need to know. The box comes with instructions

Manitowoc WI

Offline DESA

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 1983 sport wagon 1983 GMC 6.2L 3/4 ton
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
I also have the msd in one of mine. I have the 600al box to fire it. What do you need to know. The box comes with instructions

?? 600al box you lost me there....sorry if thats a dumb question......I removed the Motorcraft Ignition Module from my parts car (86) and I have both another Pertronix flame thrower and a MSD blaster II. I'll start there and see if I get any love if those don't solve the problem I'll move onto the carb.
1983 AMC sport wagon
1988 AMC white wagon
1987 AMC parts wagon
1983 GMC 6.2L 3/4 ton 4x4

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 07:32:10 PM »
Sorry look up msd 600al should pull up the websiye

Manitowoc WI

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 11:45:22 PM »
Sounds like you are getting no spark in the start mode but getting it in the run mode. Make sure you have 12 volts at the coil when it is being cranked. If the car is running fine once it starts the coil is likely fine and it does not sound like a carb problem.

Offline DESA

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 1983 sport wagon 1983 GMC 6.2L 3/4 ton
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 01:56:15 AM »
I tested the + side of the coil while cranking and the most I could get was 6 volts while cranking. I replaced the coil with MSD blaster II coil Cranked and the meeter flashes a quick 12 Volts then settles at around 6 Volts as the car is running....Long story short the car jumps to life with the new coil first try every time as apposed to cranking and cranking only to fire while turning the key off with the old coil...It was an interesting problem never have I had a vehicle do that...Thanks for all the detective :police: work Members I'm a happy man  ;D
1983 AMC sport wagon
1988 AMC white wagon
1987 AMC parts wagon
1983 GMC 6.2L 3/4 ton 4x4

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 11:04:28 PM »
Glad you got it running again!  Enjoy the drive!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline WFO386

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »
i have the same problem, i just put in a new ditributor cap, plugs, wires and ignition coil

it will crank and crank until u smell gas, no choke on the carb it hasnt been there since i bought it a yr ago and it hasnt let me down until now. any ideas?   could it be the rotor inside the distributor or a bad ground or something? please let me know what you think

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 09:37:30 PM »
i have the same problem, i just put in a new ditributor cap, plugs, wires and ignition coil

it will crank and crank until u smell gas, no choke on the carb it hasnt been there since i bought it a yr ago and it hasnt let me down until now. any ideas?   could it be the rotor inside the distributor or a bad ground or something? please let me know what you think

I know this seems really obvious, but I'm willing to bet its a mistake we've all made at one time or another.  Is the rotor in the distributor?
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 02:18:33 PM »
I tested the + side of the coil while cranking and the most I could get was 6 volts while cranking. I replaced the coil with MSD blaster II coil Cranked and the meeter flashes a quick 12 Volts then settles at around 6 Volts as the car is running....Long story short the car jumps to life with the new coil first try every time as apposed to cranking and cranking only to fire while turning the key off with the old coil...It was an interesting problem never have I had a vehicle do that...Thanks for all the detective :police: work Members I'm a happy man  ;D
it has a inline resistor, it's suppose to be 6volt

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 07:41:40 PM »
12V pickup on the solenoid is worn off.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk