News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 14, 2024, 04:40:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: flywheel  (Read 2849 times)

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
flywheel
« on: June 18, 2011, 08:40:27 PM »
What shop should I talk to about replacing a flywheel?  Would that be a motor thing or a transmission thing? 

This motor has about 5000 miles on it.  I wouldn't think the flywheel got that way since the motor was installed.  Should the shop have seen a damaged flywheel when installing the motor?

My starter sometimes seems to drag when it's hot.  Usually it seems to be fine.  If the motor dies when at operating temp and I try to start it immediately the starter acts like it won't turn at first, and then it will start the motor.  I can't get it off and to the parts store while it's hot.  It tested OK by the time I got it there. 
When I took off the starter to have it tested I saw that the flywheel has several teeth together with the edges severely worn or broken off on the ends.  I couldn't see how many were damaged.
Could that cause the symptoms that I thought were starter related? 

I have had a battery give the same symptoms but my load tester showed that the battery is good.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
Re: flywheel
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 08:54:24 PM »
your car is an automatic if I remember correctly.  what you could do is support the car on jackstands and take the tin covers off the back of the engine so you can inspect the flexplate teeth.  remove the power wire to the coil so you can have someone turn the car over so that you can inspect all of the teeth.  I think you might just have a starter that needs shimed or replaced
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 05:55:39 PM »
Those Motorcraft starters like to do just what you are describing.  I would start there Jim.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 02:02:35 PM »
I had the starter off and tested.  I could see flywheel teeth through the starter opening.  From the center of the opening as far down as I could see the ends of the teeth were worn or broken off.  Looking up the teeth looked good.
The starter tested good, though it had cooled off by the time I got it to the store.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk